Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hello! I can't view bug.cgi files on the net.

• Please log in to reply

vmax2005

vmax2005

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have exhausted myself trying to fix this problem. This started with doing a clean install ox XP and wiping my hard drive. I reinstalled most of my software. Then, I noticed on www.download.com that I had a bunch of X's on the screen. When clicking on the x's and selecting properties the window says bug.cgi. I tried going under the advanced controls and making sure the media section boxes were checked and they were. I have read web pages until I fall asleep trying to see if I am missing a plugin or something. One thing I did notice is under pluggins on ie I have just adobe and quicktime pluggins. Should I have maybe a java or active x pluggin there? In the past I have installed XP and never had this problem. I have tried to install ie itself, and xp over my current installation with no luck. Please be easy on me I am all but a computer wiz. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
cgi files are not files, but server side scripts (common gateway interface).

The html must be redirecting your browser to get the images that are missing form an external server or location.

Just so we can isolate the problem, install a third party browser like firefox...go to the same page and does the problem repeat?

vmax2005

vmax2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes the same problem happens with firefox.

vmax2005

vmax2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
If it helps out, Firefox is having problems too. It won't save any configuration changes I make. It won't save themes or bookmarks. I tried reinstalling it too. Problems, problems.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, in IE, choose tools, internet options, advanced, scroll down to HTTP SETTINGS, is anything checked there?

Do you have a firewall?

Do you have a proxy server?

vmax2005

vmax2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
both HTTP check boxes are checked. I have the easy armor firewall on my PC. No server of any sort.

thanks for the reply.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if you turn off/disable the firewall, does the problem repeat?

vmax2005

vmax2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
WOW it worked. I wonder how I can use the firewall and see the extensions.

Thank you much

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
there is likely a way to allow cgi scripts to work, but you would need to poke around in config settings or check with their tech support--I am unfamiliar with this firewall