Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse Doesn't Work After Xp Repair

• Please log in to reply

slehiman

slehiman

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I recently had a problem booting Up my Pc so I decided to repair my Windows XP Pro Edition ... Then i had another problem while repairing the setup asked me to write down the path of a "asms" file on the Windows Xp Pro Edition CD, but nothing could get me past that window, I entered Microsoft Support Page and there it said the solution was to delete UPPERFILTERS & LOWERFILTERS in the regedit.exe. I did that and actually it work but something was not OK, in the install console there was no mouse pointer visible, but i could finish it by using the keyboard, I thought that after repairing Windows everything would be as normal as it used to be, and it was, except for the mouse. I can see the mouse pointer laying still at the middle of the screen and it shows activity but I just can move it, i tried all types of mice in my pc but its the same (mine is an optical HP mouse by the way), i also tried checking BIOS to see that everything is as it should and it is, i checked my mouse in another computer and it works, but not in mine.
I hope someone could help me with this problem cause working only with the keyboard is very lame. Thanks, Victor Slehiman :tazz: ;) ;)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
does the mouse work in safe mode?

slehiman

slehiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
nope it doesn't work in any mode

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Do you have a ps2 mouse laying around. and does that work?

go into device manager,

start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

remove any mouse or HID device if you see it. Remove it. reboot

slehiman

slehiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
let me try both things brb

slehiman

slehiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ps2 mouse failed, no response.
Deleting all the HID compatible Mouse Hardware rebooting and pluging mouse in again, failed too.
Its weird because when i replug mouse i can hear the NEW HARDWARE DETECTED sound, i go to device manager and mouse HID compatible harware appears but it has no control over the pointer

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I ran into this once before where nothing would work and it turned out to be a power supply slowly dying. That is an extraordinarily odd error and I find it hard to believe this occurs regularly.

Another symptom I saw on that machine was the video card not initializing every time the machine booted.

I just don't think that is the case here....you mentioned the ASMS issue above...where did you get the info to delete upper and lower filters?

Here:
?

http://support.micro...b;EN-US;Q311755

slehiman

slehiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yes, i saw it right there.
I dont think it is the power supply because I changed it brand new like months ago.
Maybe it can be something with the video card cause i also see something odd, my wallpaper at the windows start looks just fine but by the time the icons appear some details on any wallpaper i have look like blurry or something like that

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the videocard was also a symptom of the power supply going bad

I assume you have installed whatever drivers came with the optical mouse?

slehiman

slehiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
well mouse came along with pc, i dont know if there has been any driver installed, but if it was so any other mouse would work and it doesnt.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
any mouse should work with the default mouse driver, but I have a concern that the asms file you mentioned earlier prevented a critical system driver from loading....install the full driver with any updates may rectify your problem

what kind of mouse is it?

slehiman

slehiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
sorry i had to leave, it is an HP usb optical mouse

slehiman

slehiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
it is the default mouse for the HEWLETT PACKARD pavilion 7961 , it is usb and it has only 3 buttons (incluiding the scroller)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
have you been to the HP site to see if there is a download?

slehiman

slehiman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
well i just navigated through hp drivers page and it appears not to be any driver well myself didnt find any