Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB Mouse Is Dead

• Please log in to reply

slehiman

slehiman

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I recently had a problem booting Up my Pc so I decided to repair my Windows XP Pro Edition ... Then i had another problem while repairing the setup asked me to write down the path of a "asms" file on the Windows Xp Pro Edition CD, but nothing could get me past that window, I entered Microsoft Support Page and there it said the solution was to delete UPPERFILTERS & LOWERFILTERS in the regedit.exe. I did that and actually it work but something was not OK, in the install console there was no mouse pointer visible, but i could finish it by using the keyboard, I thought that after repairing Windows everything would be as normal as it used to be, and it was, except for the mouse. I can see the mouse pointer laying still at the middle of the screen and it shows activity but I just can move it, i tried all types of mice in my pc but its the same (mine is an optical HP mouse by the way), i also tried checking BIOS to see that everything is as it should and it is, i checked my mouse in another computer and it works, but not in mine.
I hope someone could help me with this problem cause working only with the keyboard is very lame. Thanks, Victor Slehiman :tazz: ;) ;)

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Do you have a PS/2 mouse that you can try to see if it is a problem with the USB ports? IF the PS/2 mouse works, then try going into your BIOS and making sure that you enabled the option to use a USB mouse (it may be labled somthing like "Enable USB" or somthing to that effect. Also make sure you installed the new mouse drivers for the mouse you have, from the CD that should have come with the mouse.

--Chris

techroy

techroy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
try booting to safe mode and see if it works there. If it doesn't work, you may need to reinstall windows.

If it does, uninstall the drivers related to your mouse or usb port.

when you reach windows, the drivers would be reloaded by windows unless your usb or your mouse needs specific drivers which should be supplied by the manufacturer.

If it doesn't work, try other usb devices that you know are working. If it still doesn't work, you may need to reinstall windows and start from scratch.

If a PS/2 mouse is also non-functional, it would definitely be a windows issue.