Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking problems

• Please log in to reply

Drezz

Drezz

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I recently overclocked my P4 3Ghz northwood cpu from 200Mhz to 218Mhz resulting in a total of 3.27Ghz but I have seen on the net the same cpu being overclocked to 3.5Ghz but I can't work out why I can't go that high...

When I go up to 230Mhz the PC won't boot up at all, it turns on but the screen just stays blank so I reset the CMOS and then tryed going up to 220Mhz with the result of the first part of the bootup working fine but then when the windows Xp loading screen is supposed to come up the screen just goes black so as a result the highest I can go to is about 218Mhz.

Could this be because I haven't overclocked the Ram?

When I was in the BIOS I looked for the way to overclock the Ram as I did the cpu to avoid problems but I couldn't find it, the only changeable option I could find was the voltage. I did however find "DDR frequency" (i think thats what it said) which goes up automaticly as I overclock the cpu but is this the right thing?

P.S The motherboard is an MSI 875P NEO-LSR

:tazz:
Thanks in advance.
Richard.

Advertisements

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
your pc3200 ram cant run at that higher frequeny to overclock invest in some low latency pc3200 ram or pc 4000 ram

Drezz

Drezz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Oh, right, thats simple enough then!