Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with a DVD drive?

• Please log in to reply

siu00gas

siu00gas

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Samsung DVD-ROM SD-612 drive which is quite old now - for some time I have been struggling to get it to work.

I have instaled it as primary on the secondary IP cable and it is correctly detected by both the Bios and Windows XP and is listed as a DVD drive on the hardware list.

Its propertys all seem correct and set right.

Only problem is in explorer it is listed as a CD-ROM and it wont read DVDs!

Help!

Edited by siu00gas, 21 June 2005 - 12:10 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
firmware update

you could try to update the firmware, though they note firmware updates can kill the drive (never had this happen with a firmware update myself)

siu00gas

siu00gas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Wont even run the Firmware update program.

Also I think that the firmware update is for a diffrent model - mine is 612c - I think and I can not find a firmware update for that.

Its odd that Bios & system menu read it as a DVD but it wont read them?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
have you installed dvd reading software?

siu00gas

siu00gas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah winDVD is instaled.

Also it wont read normal data DVD-ROMs which I thought any drive should read even without decoder software.

It dosent even recognise that a DVD is in the drive.

Edited by siu00gas, 21 June 2005 - 12:39 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
don't even see sd 612c on their list...check the ide controller and see if the drive is using dma...if so, switch to pio

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
also, is this drive a OEM part?

siu00gas

siu00gas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It is using PIO.

Not sure what OEM means? If you mean is it a standard part used by a manufacturer - it was brought originaly as part of the machine from Dell.

The motherboard & processor have been changed since then - and it was after the re-instal of windows XP that the drive stoped working.

Its got me completly baffled and I have tried just about everything I can think of.

I am begining to belive that the DVD drive is so old that it isnt even supported anymore and wont work no matter what I do.

Its damb annoying that it seems to recognise it as a DVD drive - the drives property page, as accesed via device manager, has all the usual pages for a DVD drive - region etc. Still it will only read CDs!

Crazy!

siu00gas

siu00gas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your help.

Still cant get it to work but I think it is broken now ive tried everything.

just going to buy myself a new one.