Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a custom laptop

• Please log in to reply

Eklipse113

Eklipse113

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here's the deal.

I see laptops on websites that have beautiful equipment in them: P4s with 2MB L2 cache and 800mh fsb, a mobile graphics card (Nvidia Geforce Go 6800 or ATI Mobile x800, these are laptop versions of the great cards we all love that come out just a bit later than the desktop versions) ...and all sorts of other great stuff that makes my desktop PC I built 3 years ago look like scrap. Being an avid gamer I want to switch to a laptop so I can easily take it to LANs, etc...and now I finally can get the performance from laptops I need. However...these laptops run around 5000 dollars so I want to build my own if it's cheaper.

The catch is, I don't know where to find the parts! I've been searching google for a while looking for the hardest item: a notebook motherboard...

How can I tell if a motherboard is for a notebook, and how do I narrow my searches down to find these motherboards?

How do I know if these motherboards have the necessary slot for the mobile graphics cards?

I'd assume the manufacturers usually must get their motherboards from some other company...how do I find these companies to buy the motherboard from them?

Most other components of course are easy to find, like removable storage drives, etc... i'm primarily interested in the motherboard, but all replies are welcome.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Haha its not as easy in building a laptop :tazz: you gotta order them custom unfourtunatly with all the building and stuff that goes on, its basically impossible for the home user

you can get a barebone kit and then order the memory and other stuff to put in yourself

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
or just buy the dell xps laptop it has a geforce 6800ultra go
and is increibly fast at gaming

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah unless you want to build it out of lego its not really possible.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Get a SFF if you want something small for gaming purposes. Other than that, just go with a XPS or and Alienware. Both are great laptops.

Or, if you really wanted to spend some money, get a VooDoo Envy laptop. Now those are tight.