Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow response

• Please log in to reply

sinecure

sinecure

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have a continuing problem with my system running slow on web pages, e mail and large files.

the computer opens (files, internet or e mail) ok, but scrolling or paging is extremely slow.

using mouse thumb wheel is slower than scrollbar, but both are slow.

all AV and spyware is up-to-date and show no problems:

(AV and spy-ware include: McAfee VS 7.0, McAfee Stinger, Spy-Bot, Ad-Aware, TuneUp 2004)

when booting system I get an error message that relates to my autoexec file:

message is: $ Bad Command

if I open autoexec.bat, the onlything in the file is one character: " $ ", hence the error message.

Advertisements

Beast

Beast

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
No need to worry about the autoexec.bat issue... just remove the $ sign and you're ready.

About the graphics problem: I suppose you're using an older computer, since you're running Windows 98?
The problem is probably that you're using 24 or 32 bit color depth, but 16 bits would do the trick. Right click on an empty space on the desktop and select Properties to check this. If it's not an advanced driver, you should find Settings far to the right, where the color depth can be set.

/Rob

sinecure

sinecure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Beast/Rob;

you are correct. I did set for 32 sometime, even though I knew better.... (it's a 16 bit card...)

thanks.

John

Beast

Beast

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Geeze... not even I use a 16 bit card anymore... the only thing ISA graphics card are good for is flashing a corrupt Award BIOS. The boot block in the bios supports one ISA graphics card and one floppy disk drive. But I threw the last one away a while ago...

/Rob

sinecure

sinecure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
yeah, well... long story, but key elements are:

old PC, had bad 32 bit card

new 16 bit card was free, 32 bit wasn't....

unemployed.......

16 bit will have to suffice until the "un" part is removed....