Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Converting hard drive to FAT16

• Please log in to reply

MooCow888

MooCow888

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am trying to get my MP3's to work with my radio and I just can't. Here is what I know so far:

I already partitioned my hard drive to have a 1 gig partition that I want to convert to FAT16. FAT16 is the only format that the MP3 will play on in my radio according to the manufacture.

After I re-installed XP with SP2, I went into My Computer and clicked on my 1 gig partition and wanted to format it. Well the only option that I have are NTFS, FAT32, and FAT. I am assuming that FAT is going ot be FAT16?? When I did that it said that it could not format the drive using quick, so I just did the regular format. After it was almost done it gave the error saying that it can't format the drive using FAT. Why not??

So my question is how to format my 1 gig partition to be FAT16??

Thanks Ken

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you could use an old dos 6.22 boot disk from bootdisk.com, but I don't know why windows xp would not format it...that is odd.

It should format fat16up to 2gb, so that is not your problem. I wonder if the problem is the partition? You might try removing the partition and then recreating it and formatting it fat16

MooCow888

MooCow888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well when I was setting up the partition before installing XP SP2 it only gave me the options of using FAT32 or NTFS on the partitions. So I made the partition in FAT32 thinking that after XP is installed I could just simply click on the partition and convert it to FAT16. That doesn't seem to be the case now.

I will try to remove the partition in computer management and then make a new partition and see if that works.

Anyone have anyother ideas??

Thanks Ken

MooCow888

MooCow888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well I still can't format the partition using FAT16. Anyone else know why I can't??

Does anyone know of something different besides media player to convert CD's into MP3 format?? Maybe if I trying using a different converter it might work.

Thanks Ken