Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Want To Completely Remove AOL

• Please log in to reply

BruceB716

BruceB716

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[FONT=Optima][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue][B]I would like to COMPLETELY remove AOL from my system. Can anyone advise me how to do so? I searched files and folders and found 101 FILES related to AOL. Is it safe to remove them all? :tazz: Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I know exactly what you mean. I inherited an HP, fairly new with XP, that soneone threw out, not working, they later gave me the install disks, I reinstalled partly to get rid of any of their private stuff but also in hopes I could get rid of AOL and the infamous Back Web Agent. No such luck! HP doesn't give you any options. Here's what I did. I went to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and uninstalled AOL. That got rid of most of it. Then I deleted the AOL folder and as many files related that I could find. Then I went into the registry and deleted every registry entry related to AOL. They're clearly marked so it wasn't that difficult. There was no uninstall for Back Web so I deleted the folder but I still get a noisome popup that says "Invalid Back Web Agent". :tazz:

Peter95051

Peter95051

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Sounds good but....

I just bought this new laptop (pretty kewel actually :whistling: ) and now HP has CONVENIENTLY removed AOL from the Add/Remove Programs list....

Any ideas?

Thanks!

P-

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Try downloading the latest version of The PC-Decrapifier . It should remove AOL.

--bmwboy

Peter95051

Peter95051

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks....tried that already (sorry...should have mentioned it before :whistling: ). Just to be sure I ran it again and a window pops up with everything Norton/Symantec "checked" for removal and nothing else.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

P-

SVDtiger

SVDtiger

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
i think a trip thru the malware forum and post a hijack- this log to be sure its gone.

you might very well find other stuff under the scrutiny of trained eyes.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
your uninstaller 2006 is a great program for removing AOL. you can download the trial which gives you 3 free uninstalls. It will find the prog for sure and then all you have to do is hit uninstall and it should remove any traces of AOL from your system.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
AOL is sneaky...go to your C drive...programs folder ...look for a folder AOD...look inside and you will find more AOL hidding in there also...I just delete the whole folder....if your afraid just delete the AOL hiding there