Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem Router Probs

• Please log in to reply

bigrich

bigrich

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey,

I've just bought a Safecom SAMR - 4110 Modem Router and i'm having a bit of trouble.

When the ethernet cable's plugged directly into the network card of my computer, i can access the router fine, and also connect to the internet.

The problem occurs when I try plugging it into my workgroup hub so other computers on the network can use it. When it is plugged into the hub it cannot be pinged by the ip address it states in the instructions (10.0.0.2). I've tried using the normal ports on the hub as well as the uplink port. I've also tried both straight and crossover cables when connecting it to the hub.

The LAN status light is on on the router, so there is a physical connection, so why cant i connect to it from a PC?

Am i missing something??

Cheers

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Have you tried to run the ipconfig /all command to see if it's getting a DHCP address?

Greazy Mcgeezy

bigrich

bigrich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah and no it isnt getting asigned an IP, it the computers on the network can't see the router at all.

CerealUK

CerealUK

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I too have one of these routers and the same thing happened to me at first.

I suspect that its a subnet problem. My guess is that you are using an IP address for your computer that is not in the 10.0.0.x range of the router.
Try temporarily changing your PC's IP address to, say 10.0.0.10 and then try to ping the router... all should be well then.

You should then be able to access the router and change its static ip address to one in your chosen address range.

Good luck.

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I've just bought a Safecom SAMR - 4110 Modem Router and i'm having a bit of trouble.

When the ethernet cable's plugged directly into the network card of my computer, i can access the router fine, and also connect to the internet.

Then the promblem is not with your Safecom SAMR - 4110 Modem Router you just bought.

The problem occurs when I try plugging it into my workgroup hub so other computers on the network can use it.

Then the promblem would lie in the hub it's self or ethernet cable not wired correctly. Most routers with DHCP use class C IP addresses start with 192.168.x.x not (10.x.x.x) <--reserved for private networks class A IP addresses and will NOT route on the Internet. :tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
When you plug your comptuer directly to the modem, you say it connects to the modem, gets an address, and gets online. Please connect that way, and run the ipconfig /all command. What IP address and subnet mask is your computer getting assigned?

Greazy Mcgeezy