Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with BF2

• Please log in to reply

cbm487

cbm487

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I installed Battlefield 2 and click to run it but all it does is show a screen, then a black screen then it takes me back to the desktop :tazz:
Heres my system vs. what it needs any suggestions as to what i should do? My computer says it has 512 mb in the instruction manual and the box but this readout says it only has 495...what should i do about that? One last question how do i create more display memory?

Yoursystem //////////////
System Memory 495.7 //////////// 512

Processor Speed 2925.9 ///////// 1700 mhz

DirectX Version (Get Updates) 9.0c //////// 9.0c

Display Device (Get Drivers) Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller

Display Memory 64.0 //////////// 128.0

Display Driver 6.14.10.3889

Sound Device (Get Drivers) Realtek AC97 Audio

Sound Driver 5.10.5740

Note: the ones after//////are the needed components and blank spaces were not provided.

Edited by cbm487, 21 June 2005 - 05:51 PM.

Advertisements

darkkammic

darkkammic

• Pip
  • 9 posts
It sounds like your video card is not "good" enough. (I quote it cause your current card could probably run Doom3, which is far more testing game that BF2, EA is odd). You need a minimum of a GeForce XP 5200, though anything higher is better (a GeForce FX 5700 is good!, and only for $79.00 if you go through pricegrabber.com).
A number of people at my work are hooked on BF1942 and now BF2, and this problem was common.
So in short, you need to update your video card.
Your 512 DDR is fine. Always make sure your video drivers are up to date, of course, but that goes without saying.

DK

ryanmills

ryanmills

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

A few things to check on. I don’t know if that GPU (video card) can do hardware directx 9.0. Someone else here might be able to tell you other wise use the magic tool and find out. If so that’s prob what’s crashing your game. I thought I read that BF2 does not support(at least not much of) software directx 9.0 or earlier

As far as your memory goes. Don’t worry about it showing 495.7 that’s normal.

As far as adding more "video memory" in your case it’s not possible (or most users for that matter). You have several types of memory in your computer. The two that you need to understand are system and video. Your system ram is upgradeable (rather easy to do, getting the right kind on the other hand not so easy) it will usually take some form of DDR. Use the same magical tool for more info on DDR. Video memory on the other hand in most cases can not be upgraded. Its build right onto the card.

In your case you should look into a new video card. Features to look for are 8x or pci-express and hardware support for directx 9.0. Also do your self a favor and run the video care name thru google. There are reviews on just about every computer item out there. Most reviews will give you an idea what you can expect from your new video card.

-Ryan

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, you are using onboard video and sound. this means it is intregrated into your motherboard. integrated video uses a part of the system ram and reserves it for video, which explains your low ram count.
please use everest home to get the specs on your PC, and post them. what I am looking for here is make/model (if prebuilt, as in dell, HP, etc), or if custom built, the info on your motherboard, cpu, etc.

you should be able to upgrade to a real video card easily, but want to know what you have, so we can make the right recomendations.
the onboard audio is fine, but you will get better quality sound even from an older soundblaster 16 series card. totally optional however.

post back the requested info from the everest report, and we will get you going!

Thunderclease

Thunderclease

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Yoursystem //////////////
System Memory 495.7 //////////// 512

Processor Speed 2925.9 ///////// 1700 mhz

DirectX Version (Get Updates) 9.0c //////// 9.0c

Display Memory 64.0 //////////// 128.0

Display Driver 6.14.10.3889

Sound Device (Get Drivers) Realtek AC97 Audio

Sound Driver 5.10.5740

bam there's your problem , go to ebay and buy yourself a 400 dollar Nvidia or Ati graphics card , bf2 only supports those cards. and it needs about 256mbs to run smoothly so I'd be sure to shop around .

Edited by Thunderclease, 22 June 2005 - 01:15 AM.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Ewww....your using a DELL

cbm487

cbm487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
this one...i can afford :tazz: http://www.tigerdire...&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

i realize its a low end model but i ahd a question would i neccesarily need 256 mb or would 128 cut it? as for the man mocking my dell my dad has one at his house and it runs it beautifully..it also cost about 200 more tho..

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
What maters in a card in the type of core it has ex.fx5200 or Radeon 9600 not the amount of VRAM. For example I have a 6600gt which has only 128mb of VRAM but runs BF2 faster than any card except a x850xt or a 6800gt or ultra. If you want a good card for BF2 I would suggest either a nvidia 6600gt or 5700. In fact the card you linked to is below the requirements of BF2. With that card installed BF2 will refuse to run.

Also 2 more things.

1.Tigerdirect.com generally doesn't have good prices. Use newegg.com or Zipzoomfly.com

2. I recommend these demons of mediocrity
A 5700
or a
9600xt

3. The reason I thought you may have a Dell is b/c Dell ships there PCs with really crappy stuff. Unless your a smart PC shopper (Like your father) you will most likely buy a DELL with a POS Intel GPU that can barely run a flash movie

4. 2 is so the new 4!!!OMFGLOLBBQ...Im $0 1337

Edited by MOLEXRULZ, 22 June 2005 - 02:50 PM.