Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Linux distro to choose?

• Please log in to reply

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Thank you!

Advertisements

Fat2000

Fat2000

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Thank you!

View Post

No Problem!

john000

john000

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have Red Hat,Mandriva,SLAX,[bleep] Small Linux,Knoppix,and GoblinX(I wanted to see which ones worked on my laptop.)

j0ke

j0ke

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just run Debian on my computers, and run SE Linux on my servers.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Is there a reason Xandros isn't on the list? I heard that it's fairly easy to install and use, and I'm thinking about trying it.

PS: I see that this sticky is a little old, but SUSE's version be updated to 10.0 in the first post?

Edited by Pi rules, 24 October 2005 - 05:37 PM.

Fat2000

Fat2000

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Is there a reason Xandros isn't on the list? I heard that it's fairly easy to install and use, and I'm thinking about trying it.

PS: I see that this sticky is a little old, but SUSE's version be updated to 10.0 in the first post?

Hi Pi Rules,

Speaking for myself, I have not tried Xandros and I have heard and read about it but the article did not spark much interest as much as the distros have for me but it would be nice to hear what an actual users opinion is on that distro is because most of the reviews were from media and advertisement. I sounds good but you know what they about that, "if sounds too good to be true, then maybe it is." There are some many distros nowadays that it is hard for an individual to choose from all. It is always been my opinion to search for the one that you are happy and comfortable with and that one will be the one use call your favorite. Look forward to your take on the Xandros distro. :tazz:

Thank you,
Fat2000

Optikal

Optikal

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Had to add my 2cents worth.. i have found Yoper to be excellent for lappy's, its small, fast an has most bells n whistles(100% hand written), i havent tried it on my power box yet but on a lappy its a dream, i wish i had found it sooner, would have saved many hours of tweaking for performance on my old lappy, not sure about posting links on this forum, i know someone will remove it if im not :tazz: http://yoper.com/ (downloads on 1 cd)

Edited by Optikal, 14 November 2005 - 09:17 PM.

kabonickj

kabonickj

• Pip
  • 8 posts
are there any differences between teh distros. my friend gave me a copy of mandrake 10.1, how does it compare to Fedora or Red Hat?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

I am fairly new to Linux, but I found a cool distro called 'Flash Linux' this is a gentoo based distro and is small enough to be run off a fairly large USB Pen/Flash Drive. (256MB and upwards).

This is the one i use to restore my computer if it really F*cks up with a virus or something else retarded. It is very useful just to keep one lying around just in case.

You might want to check out DSL (http://www.dslos.com/), which is much smaller, around 50Mb.

Quite useful to have around.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ubunto is quite good for what ive used of it and slax is excellent for the USB pen ones, it has different versions so you casn have it as small as 50meg or about 270meg.

Advertisements

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
The good thing about linux distro's is that they are mostly free so you have nothing to loose by trying different distros untill you fin one you like.

I've been playing with linux for years now and i have found that debian based distro's are a lot easier to use than rpm based.

for windows people who dont know linux though i would start off using open suse10, its YAST (Yet Another Setup Tool) takes the pain out of the install process and makes tasks like locating software and installing it very easy.

choosing a linux distro depends on your needs, if your into multi media then i would recomend Debian sarge (it seems to be able to play alamost any audio / video format without installing codecs ect...), if your into gaming then dont be afraid, installing windows games on a linux system is made easy using Cadega / transgaming, couldnt be any easier in fact. It's just a jazzed up version of wine with a nice gui. Playing the games on the other hand might be an issue, still, after all these years - there are no decent 3d acceration driver availble for nvidia and AIT chipsets, this is not the fault of the OS (which is more than capable of runnign the latest games, its nvidia and ati not producing decent drivers. shame.

if you want to run server then linux is certainly for you, linux is your freind, again i would choose debain for this, or maybe suse if i was feeling lazy.

For a replacment for windows - it doesnt really matter which distro you choose, its the desktop you choose to install, of which there are may, but the main ones are KDE and Gnome, which are both very good.(i use gnome)

almost all distros have a live cd now so you dont have to ruin your windows install to try them out and see which ones you like.

the_gh0st

the_gh0st

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Can someone write a tutorial as to how I would put Linux on one partition of y HD and Windows on the other?

Xstyr

Xstyr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Theres almost no point!
Most of the 'lazy' distros have a nice GUI when you install to keep windows and linux apart, and they all *i think* will install a boot loader, LILO or GRUB. Once installed, the boot loader will show a list of the linux and windows operating system:D
Have a look at SuSE's website. They have very clear tutorials on installation and taking you through linux, of course, it will asume you install SuSE :tazz:

Xstyr

P.S. Tux and Google are friends, if you need any help use the google linux search:
Google_linux_search

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.linuxnewbieguide.org/

i found this looks a good reference for starters.

voUL

voUL

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I dual boot Windows XP (face it, Doze is a necessity) and SuSE 10. I use SuSE for my usual tasks (surfing the net, email, IM) and Windows only when I need it.

Linux all the way.