Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Linux distro to choose?

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Slax is another good flavor .... :whistling:

Advertisements

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Why is Fedora 3.1 gb whereas most fit on a cd...does it come with extra stuff or a better ui or what? Do you have to use any command line in the install, add remove apps, or daily use?

thanks

root

root

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I haven't been using Linux/Unix systems for too long, started off with RedHat 7.3 in 2001, but there have been a couple I loved along the road and countless advances.

RedHat 9 was one of my favourites. Very powerful and highly configurable while maintaining ease-of-use to the beginners like me. Mandrake 10 was a great out-of-the-box segway for hopeful Windows converts. But now, although it's not a Linux distro, I've stuck with FreeBSD and PC-BSD (distro based on FreeBSD) aimed at desktop/production users for over a year now. Unbeatable stability and power are definite trademarks for FreeBSD. On the same hand I always keep a seperate drive or partition with Windows XP. Let's face it, there are still some things that just can't be done (expeditiously) on Nixes still, games being the biggest setback.

So I use my FBSD/PCBSD for daily production such as coding, email, word processing, data sheets, browsing etc while booting up XP for gaming and such.

XanaX

XanaX

• Pip
  • 4 posts
so i a lil new here ; and was looking for using a linux distro on my semi-decent notebook. was going to go with ubuntu but i have no clue what any commands are. would some1 kindly point me in the correct direction? thanks.

hal_jordan

hal_jordan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I thought I'd weigh in on this topic since I dual boot with Linux and have been using it off and on for about 2 years.

Before you consider whether or not you want to try Linux, ask your self why do you want to try it. If it is to escape the many issues that plague Winders, then you are doing it for the wrong reason (IMO). Realize that you will not be starting where you left off; you will learning from scratch. Regardless of the distro, 'Nix is most likely not going to behave the way you want it to. You will have to do a lot of reading and experiementing (includng breaking your distro and learning how to fix it) Once, after successfully installing Debian, I encountered a video problem. I tried the first 'fix' that I found on a forum and all of a sudden, I have no GUI; I then had to fix the problem using just the command line (which was fine, because that's why I switched in the first place). After about two hours, I got it back and life was good.

The advantages are many, however:
No viruses
No spy/ad/malware
No registering your OS or any software
No paying for software (although I strongly recommend that you donate)
Learning something new is crucial and fun (if you are a geek or have a geek streak)
The Linux community is largely a close knit group of people that are knowledgable and helpful (as long as you make an effort to learn on your own)

The bottom line is, the best way that I have introduced friends to Linux is to give them a live CD (I choose Ubuntu); if they can navigate and get a good feel for the GUI, then I help them setup a dual boot. Two physical hard drives is best, but you can do it with one with minimal effort. Just make sure that Winders is loaded first.
That way, if they stuck in Linux, they can still reboot and get back into Windows.

Good luck and may the Force be with you

Tim

J0hn

J0hn

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Convert me to SUSE's religion, yes no? haha.

How fast does SUSE handle there security updates?

Do they allow updates to applications such as Firefox, Thunderbird, and others? Or do you have to build them from source like Fedora Core?

If there was an automatic update, would one person do it automatically or manually(regarding security reasons)? What is the best choice?

More clicking then command line?

How are the setups and configurations like? User friendly also?

How big is the online community forums? Hope there are a lot of experts around to help with problems.

Any complaints about application stability and speed?

Also how do they handle there video playbacks such as flash player(includes audio and video e.g. Youtube.com and others)......Does it lag(spikes)? Does it eat up your cpu?

Last but not least, online audio streaming for example sampling music from amazon.com and others that require mp3, wma, wmv, realplayer etc. Does that come right out of the box?

I heard SUSE was very user friendly and a lot more like Windows and better of course, sort of like a clone but provides far more better security(does not include viruses, trojans, and spyware) but I don't believe it.

Your full thoughts on the above would be great, thank you.

SVDtiger

SVDtiger

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
what about CentOS , has anyone tried it? thanks...

happy-and-lost

happy-and-lost

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
*cough* Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy Eft" *cough*

Seriously, it has something for everyone, plus, the normal Ubuntu flavour uses GNOME 2.16 (KDE is a bit too buggy for me) :whistling:

Edited by happy-and-lost, 26 October 2006 - 08:41 AM.

DMME

DMME

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hey everybody,

I need some help deciding on which distro I should choose. I won't be
playing any games or running any massive programs or anything like that. I will be mostly be using it for Browsing the web, playing music, watching movies, instant messaging(Trillian to be precise), and other things along those lines. I am also planning to have it run along with Windows.

Anyway, I hope ya'll can help me choose between these three:

SUSE

Mandriva

fedora core 6

Thanks for all your help! :whistling:

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Why not give Solaris 10 from Sun a try, it's free. It comes in a 5 CD download, or a single DVD.
It is a 1.5 GB download total.

Advertisements

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
And how do I use Windows apps on Linux? I heard there's Wine or WineX but when i read the manual for Wine itself... OMG what the .... was the manual talkin bout??!! APT? Terminal bla bla bla? Can anyone teach me?

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
One of the easiest distros, IMO, is PCLinuxOS. That's the first one I used. It's fairly easy for a beginner. So is FreeSpire.

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 23 March 2007 - 06:04 PM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

what about CentOS , has anyone tried it? thanks...

I use CentOS, but only on my server, with the server install. It's pretty good, runs off of the Redhat Enterprise 4 distro, just modified.

DMME

DMME

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Why not give Solaris 10 from Sun a try, it's free. It comes in a 5 CD download, or a single DVD.
It is a 1.5 GB download total.

It's nice to see another Louisiana resident besides me here. :blink: I forgot to mention that I am total noob at Linux. This will be my first time ever using it. :whistling: So, a beginner's distro will be helpful!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There is a new release of ubuntu coming out in April i would highly reccomend Ubuntu for a beginer more because it has more support than any other distro ive seen.