Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem installing IE critical updates from M$

• Please log in to reply

newbie geek

newbie geek

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I am trying to update my IE with the recent critical updates:

KB883939
KB897715

(I hope I got the numbers right)!!

Anyway I have failed 3 times now in doing this and can't understand what is going on.

I cleaned out all my temp files and still no success.

I hope that someone has some ideas!

Thankyou

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www3.telus.ne...demar/wufix.htm

take a look at the above link

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thankyou for the post, I am still reading through it. The one that is similar but not "failed" is the one that reads that the download was incomplete.

I am wondering if it is because I am on Dial up and Windows does not like the speed, 49kbps as i have been trying to download updates and had to take my notebook over to my brothers last week and D/L off his high speed and it went well no glitches at all.

Anyone have any idea about this?

I am going to read on here as I see one topic about where the updates D/L fast and that is what is happening with me and then it just says "failed" after each one.
I have never seen anything d/l so fast!!!!!

I look forward to more comments and I will forge on with the reading in this Link.

Regards

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I have not been able to resolve my issue with IE updates from M$ as of yet. I don't really understand it as I have not changed anything and there is really no indication of an error message. Simply "failed".

I read through all the prior posters site and could not idenify anything that was similar to my situation.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thankyou

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I've updated two machines with XP, one a complete reinstall, and I've had problems with both of them. some updates won't install together and the machine won't shut down (the updates install before shutdown) or some install, others don't. What seems to work is to turn off automatic updates and only install a few at a time. :tazz:

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thankyou, for comments.

I will try again.

It is like the ants go "marching one by one" except no hurrah!!!!!

I don't know what it is, but even if i try 1 by 1... no success!!

I hope to hear from members,

Thx

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
:tazz: Can I be so humble as to ask how do I turn off "automatic updates"?? I am obviously not that "tech" oriented and once something is set, I don't know much about what to do to disenable it.

I apologize for my ineptness.

This is in response to the suggestion in the Post by Tyger.

I look forward to a reply.

Regards.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
services.msc
enter

look for automatic updates, and double click it, then turn it to manual

------------------------------------

in c:\windows

you will find a file called windowsupdate.log dated the last time you tried windows update. Attach that file to your next post.

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Hey Tyger and GerryF you are both Miracle Workers.
I thankyou for taking the time for posting and your suggestion of turning off automatice updates and the instructions to do so have resolved my stubborn problem.

I actually remembered that I had seen the Icon for Windows Automatic Update in the Control Panel and went in and shut it off.

I decided to then check with GerryF's method through "Run" and it was still enabled.
So I clicked on Stop.

Why would that be that I shut it off in the CP and yet it was still enabled???

I thankyou both for your joint efforts in solving my puzzle as the updates are installing fine now.

Kudos to 2 great members for solving my dilemma!! :tazz:

Respectful Regards!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
don't know....just glad it worked.