Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Best 4x agp Video Card?

• Please log in to reply

Blammo

Blammo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was thinking of upgrading my 3 year old desktop this summer for various reasons. The 2 upgrades I am considering are RAM and a new video card. I couldn't find certain compatability information about my computer on the Gateway's support section (It's a 700X, and yes, I do hate Gateway...), and after a chat with a customer support agent, I was informed I only have a 4x agp slot. My dreams of a new Radeon 9800 Pro fell through at that point, and I was wondering how to make the best of a bad situation. I'm looking for a good quality increase over my current card, thought I'm not sure if that's possible.

I am running a 128 MB Radeom 9600 Pro, 2.4GHz Pentium 4, XP Home, 512 RDRAM (I'm going to put another 512 in there though).

Suggestions? Comments? Anything?

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hey there blammo,
most cards can run at either 4x or 8x speed, and so you should be able to pick up that 9800 pro no problem. go here for a great comparison feature that ATI provides. it lists all the specs of their cards, including what AGP settings they run at, etc.

good luck, have fun! let us know if you have any questions, etc.

ryanmills

ryanmills

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I still have a ATI 8500 w/128megs in a old system. Great card, run SoF2 on it for years. Cheap as [bleep] $20-$40 (paid about 300 when I first got it).