Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting an IP address

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

rockon0630

rockon0630

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Is there a way to get an IP address from an IM name, without paying for software or anything??

Advertisements

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
why....

rockon0630

rockon0630

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Interesting situation...My girlfriend claims that she got my IP address from a fake screen name I was using--But I sincertely doubt that she would have paid for any software. Now, I'm trying to check up on her--and see if she might be doing the same thing. Thanx!!

guymontech

guymontech

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
To get a Yahoo! users IP, when you are doing something in p2p mode such as cam, IM or file transfer, open up a command interpreter start, run and command.com(all windows) or cmd(NT,2k,xp) and type netstat to see a list of current connections.

guymontech

guymontech

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have not tried the above, I just copied it from bigblueball.com

rockon0630

rockon0630

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
what if it's thru aol?? (AIM)

guymontech

guymontech

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Not sure, I will check on that for you. I do know in AIM you used to be able to establish a direct IM connection with the person you where talking to, this would probably work the same as the above. Although , again, I have never tried it.

rockon0630

rockon0630

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanx, i appreciate it. i'm really trying to figure things out here

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I don't really understand why you would need the IP address in the first place. Really the only thing the IP address would be good for is if you are going to try to Scan, Access, Boot, or place Malware on the persons machine. I guess if you had enough information about this person (last name, birthdate) and assuming the person has a static IP address, and is not behind a proxy, you could potentially find their physical address on the streets of the real world and not just on the digital international information superhighway. Therefore, I will not suggest any method that you can not find simply by searching Google.

Straight forward if you make a direct connection through the IM service like sharing a file or a direct IM you could run the netstat -n command and figure out the IP that way.

Other than that I will give no more information, nothing is free, including methods used to hack.

Edited by phybyr0ptyk, 23 June 2005 - 10:36 PM.

rockon0630

rockon0630

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok, thank you for ur help...so, basically, there's no way to discover the IP address without paying for some kind of service, huh. Interesting

Advertisements

rockon0630

rockon0630

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
basically, i just wanted to see if my gf was telling ther truth, but turns out she's a pathological liar

TwiztidNinja

TwiztidNinja

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
open command promp sype in netstat then conncect to the person your talking to threw direct connection do netstat again and the ip that is new in the list is the persons ip

it is possible ive done it before..

Edited by TwiztidNinja, 24 June 2005 - 09:29 AM.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Straight forward if you make a direct connection through the IM service like sharing a file or a direct IM you could run the netstat -n command and figure out the IP that way.

View Post

open command promp sype in netstat then conncect to the person your talking to threw direct connection do netstat again and the ip that is new in the list is the persons ip

it is possible ive done it before..

View Post

TwiztidNinja-
I do not, dispute that it is or isn't possible, you basically just said the same thing I said, What I find interesting though is WHY the IP is needed in the first place. There are only so many things one can do with an IP address, and trust me if he doesn't know how to get it then I believe he probably doesn't know what to do with it, but that said, WHY even try to get it? How does having the IP address prove that your G/F is a pathological liar? Not that I really care, just curious.

ok, thank you for ur help...so, basically, there's no way to discover the IP address without paying for some kind of service, huh. Interesting

Rockon0630
There are ways to get the IP as directed above without paying for software. Just so you know. With that logo posted beside my name comes responsibility, There are not many things that one will want an IP address for to be used in a good way, But assuming you have absolutely no idea of how to even begin to find ones IP, I doubt you will know what to do with it once you have it anyway.

TwiztidNinja

TwiztidNinja

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
i hope ur kidding haveing someones ip is pointless and you cant do anything mischeviose with it anymore windows has evolved so mutch i meen what are you gona ping them todeath that wont do anything with 3kb packets anyone could right a simple script to logs someones ip address in an mysql table if haveing someones ip was such a big dealand mischeviose things could be done with it they would be more hidded

rockon0630

rockon0630

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
my gf claimed to have gotten my ip address thru an imconversation. I figured she had figured i was using a fake name by going thru my comp. she's just a liar