Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer only starts in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

whitew0lf

whitew0lf

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,
My toshiba win xp p4 lap top (8 mos old) just started failing to start in normal mode today.
It goes through the start up process, but right after you see the windows is starting thingy with the blue bars, it doesnt load the windows screen. It just flashes and then after about 30 seconds i get a qiuick blue screen i cant read, then it goes into the *were sorry but windows failed to start, please choose to start in safe mode below etc* screen.

I can run it in safemode, as I am on it now. I tried several virus scans, and a sys restore as well as a last working setting thingy. same thing no matter what.

I don't know how to figure out what is wrong. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,

alex

Advertisements

whitew0lf

whitew0lf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
help? anyone? :tazz: ;)

Mycah

Mycah

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
When booting press F8, then use your arrow keys and press 'start windows normally'

Hope it helps

whitew0lf

whitew0lf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Oh, in my msconfig, i found this dumprep 0 -k thingy, i stop i ton start up, the cpu restarts ok, then when i restart it again it wont restart and in safe mode i find another version of the dumprep in the startup tab on msconfig.

I know theres a valid thingy in microsoft that uses dumprep when theres a program thats gone to crap, but how do i know its legit and whats causing it?

- alex

whitew0lf

whitew0lf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
no, choosing start in normal mode doesnt work. it's nothing that simple, i fear.
I have this blue screen that flashes really fast on startup, showing what errors are on
but it only shows for a split second. i wish there was a way to retrieve that information on the screen to use it to diagnose the problem.
can i get into dos and retrieve the message after start up?

this is on my work computer, my lap top, so i can't afford to screw this up and loose all the data and such on here.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Madam

Madam

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I can run it in safemode, as I am on it now.

View Post

How can you be on the internet in safe mode?

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
If you choose "Safe Mode With Networking" you can be. :tazz:

B

whitew0lf

whitew0lf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, i have been dinking around with this a bit and I was able to come up with a window with these error messages:

C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERf41b.dir00\Mini062105-03.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERf41b.dir00\sysdata.xml

ERROR SIGNATURES:
BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 84B9DDA8 BCP2 : 84B7B338 BCP3 : F7ADFCBC
BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

The windows error service says it's my ati graphics driver, i am going to mess with it now. I am unable to figure out what the blue screen message is when the cpu tries to restart though.
I don't like computers!!! 8(

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

View Post

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
or install a new ati driver

www.ati.com

whitew0lf

whitew0lf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok, this is what the blue screen says:

"it seems the problem is caused by the following file: ati2dvag

The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. this may be caused by the driver or the device it's self."

And yes, i did update the drivers, but it didn't help. can i reinstall the drivers for my graphics card somehow? won't the graphics stop working as soon as i uninstall the drivers?

thank you all for your help thus far.

- alex

whitew0lf

whitew0lf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i cannot believe what a mess this all is. I cannot wade through all these problems.
I wish i could find my restore disk, but i don't know if that would fix the problem. this is my work computer and i am out of luck without it working.