Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I screwed up big time

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

tomr8368a

tomr8368a

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I got a problem. In attempting to repair Win xp, I installed two copies of a new installation, in addition to the old one. How do I remove them???? And keep only my old one?
Tom

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Windows will only let one Operating System reside on the same volume. Unless you have another hard drive or another partition on the same drive that you have accidentally installed windows on too, there will only be one installation of windows on your system. The second installation reformats and installs windows on a clean volume.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

tomr8368a

tomr8368a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Jonny R
When the computer first is turned on, there is a screen asking which of three WinXP installations I weant to run. The third one is my old one. I guess there's a partition???
Anyway, I want to delete the two "new" ones. How is that done?
Many thanks, Tom

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, System, Advanced Tab, Click the "settings" button near the bottom in the "Startup and Recovery" section, Click the "edit" button near the top of the new window. This will bring up your Boot.ini file in notepad, remove the lines that tell the startup process to give you choices between operating systems that you don't want and leave the one that is installed now. You can also set the countdown timer to 0. That is the timer that counts down and automatically loads the default os when you are prompted to pick an os at startup.

-=jonnyrotten=-

<_<

tomr8368a

tomr8368a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
JonnyR:
Well, there's genius under that Mohawk Cut...many thanks for the help, it worked (as if I didn't know it would). I copied the advice for my "screw up" file so I'll know what to do next time I do it.
Tom <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Thank you kind sir. Glad everythings workin.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

vaan

vaan

• Pip
  • 7 posts
dude that will only tell windows to stop asking you which windows to boot from, but it would actually get rid of your main problem, actually ur in a big problem . iv been seeing these kind of problem solving all over this site, all this does is temporarily fix the annoying pop up from your bios. ul either need to use the recovery console from a windows cd or part pe, google it up, coz its too much info, btw partition is a drive haz bin split into 2, virtually

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please don't bump topics that are over 4 years old