Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd Defragment Problem

• Please log in to reply

mustangclint

mustangclint

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi everyone! I have a big problem that i can't fix. I looked around the forums and found topics about their defragmenting freezing and stuff. I use windows XP Pro, and when i try to defrag, i get a blank (no text) defragging screen (show below). Now i've never had this problem but i'm hoping :tazz: someone else has had it.

I believe the problem started when i dl'ed and ran RegScrubXP / DLL Archive / or Crap Cleaner (CCleaner). I'm not sure that one of these programs created the problem, but i'm out of troubleshooting ideas and decided to post in this forum.

I apologize for the long post but i've posted in forums b4 and i hope this will be enough for someone to help me out.

I could really use some help before i break down here....;-)

Any help or thoughts is MUCH appreciated. Thx all.

PS-same problem in SafeMode

Posted Image

Edited by mustangclint, 22 June 2005 - 12:05 AM.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
U could use the "defrag" command from command prompt instead

U_D

U_D

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I'm having this problem too.

oh, and Kickass Wallpaper!!

edit: I just tried it through cmd, and this is what I got:

http://www.maj.com/g...defrag_prob.png

Edited by U_D, 22 June 2005 - 12:39 AM.

mustangclint

mustangclint

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Man that was quick. And hi there U_D (kinda glad you are having same problem).

U_D - did you run a program called DLL Archive?

Thx for the reply darth_ash! I've tryed that and got an error saying, Error: cannot load resource DLL. So now i'm thinking that the problem was caused by me running that program (DLL Archive) Cause thats what it does. It goes through your systmem and deleted old DLL files.

I checked out the archived DLL list in that program and all i can spot are 2 DLL files that are called, dfrgres.dll located in WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ and the other in WINDOWS\system32\.

Do you know what the DLL file is called that command is telling me is missing? I can restore any of the DLL's that the program deleted.

Thx guys, appreciate the help. I am one step closer to fixing this....i think!

mustangclint

mustangclint

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OMG! Thanks darth_ash. Telling me to do that command prompt, showed me that one of the DLL files were missing. So i checked the archives from the program and sure enough, that was the problem. I restored the 2 files i stated in the last reply and now problem fixed.

Thank you thank you thank you!!! Now i think my hair is coming back! LOL

U_D - if you have a program similar to mine that i used, check your archives or log and look for anything that starts with dfrg(.dll). Hopefully that is your problem. And yes, my wallpaper does kick [bleep]. I added the mustang horse and the camera flash effect to it. If you want it, i can send it to your email. Lemme know.

Thanks again guys, that was super quick and i really love this site!

:tazz:

Edited by mustangclint, 22 June 2005 - 11:53 AM.