Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Exchange Server Unavailable

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
good luck

Advertisements

Fletcher Smith

Fletcher Smith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi guys, I got through the procedure okay, created a false workgroup within the domain and got it accepted and rebooted the computer. Of course there was no network domain available under the false workgroup.

I went back to my computer and changed the name back to the correct name and rebooted and got the chance to log on again under the correct domain/workgroup.

It seemed all to go ok and outlook asked me for a new profile so I reentered the details and picked my correct name out of the list it offered after name confirmation, but it said again unable to connect with server and when i tried to work off-line it said " Unable to open your default e mail folders. The information store could not be opened".

I'm going to try running through dsenettes procedure again in case I did something wrong.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
any ideas guse?

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
Okay... I should have asked this before, but I'd like to be absolutely sure of the exact step this fails at:

To Create a Profile in Outlook
  • Go to Control Panel | Mail
  • Click Show Profiles
  • Click Add and Name the new Profile
  • Select Add a New Email Account click Next
  • Select Microsoft Exchange Server click Next
  • Enter your Mail Server name and User Name
  • Click Check Name
  • Once that goes through, click Next
  • Click Finish
Where, exactly, does it fail? Tell me everything. When you enter that info in step 6 and hit Check Name, does it replace what you typed with other info (like IP and name) with underlined name information? Or, are you saying that you type in Fletcher in the name spot, hit Check Name and it give you an option of "Fletcher Smith" which you then choose, THEN it craps out on you?

I'm officially frustrated. Perhaps we've been looking at this the wrong way. Maybe it's OUTLOOK's problem and not Windows. Do you have the necessary equipment to reinstall Outlook?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
man this would be easier if you had admin privelages on the domain...i have had a similar problem that was a problem with having to remove and reinstate a user.. i had to remove all outlook properties from the user in active directory and then rebuild them. it's a simple process but you have to be a domain admin. or at least have admin rights on the exchange server

Fletcher Smith

Fletcher Smith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry Guse, for causing you the frustration and for perhaps not explaining myself sufficiently well previously.

I have several times removed Office XP and of course Outlook with it. I even removed all the information left in the two outlook folders under Documents and Settings just to be sure they were not corrupting a fresh install. (I did not delete them, just moved them to a temporary folder).

I have always been able to clear out all the profiles within the "Mail" setting and re-instate / recreate my own profile. When setting up the Exchange Mail Account I type in either Mail_Server_1 or 200.200.200.168 and type in the letter F in the name box and check names. It immediately accesses the list of registered names on the Mail Server and I see my full name there. So I select it, it comes up underlined and I finish.

Then when I try to set up my outlook it comes up with unable to connect to server do you want to work offline?

I've given myself another problem now as I realised I had not changed the computer name back to the correct one when I deleted the false workgroup. So I was still xxxx on <domain>.

Now I tried to go back to my correct computer name (dhlaptop) on the domain and it's giving me Access Denied ........ ooops. Maybe that's because I don't have the privileges? Funny because when i set up the new account details it seemed to allow me to select Administrator as account rights?

I have to go and try to get back at least to where I was before.

Sorry to give you guys grief, don't worry, so long as I can copy my important data - 10Gb over to our network I'll get the IT guy to fry this machine!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is your computer itself saying that access is denied to the selection of changing the name? or does it say that after you try to rejoin the domain?

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
It isn't that you didn't explain yourself fully enough, I just wanted to make sure that I had the issue down. As for the frustration... that's part and parcel with a computer. They wouldn't be much fun without it.

So, it'll let you set up the account, but not let you connect after that. I'm honestly not sure what to tell you to do next.

Let me think on it.

Fletcher Smith

Fletcher Smith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It was saying access denied to the domain.

Now on rebooting it seemed that I was been able to change the name and the domain to the correct ones, and so I was told to reboot to make the changes effective.

I did that, but trying to log onto the network on reboot gave me the new warning, " The system cannot log you on to this domain because the systems computer account is missing or the password on that account is incorrect"

Perhaps this is just the 22 hour delay that one of you mentioned?

Although I'm not looged onto any domain I can see all my files under the other profile so I'm not panicking yet - :tazz:

It's 6pm here and this is doing my head in so I'm calling it a day, I will try again on Monday morning.

Do you guys have Paypal accounts?

Even if you are not able to solve my problem I would like to buy you guys a beer for all you troubles and efforts. ;)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could just mail me a six pack of carling hehehe. what looks like happened is the AD replication occured and removed your computer account from the domain. to join the domain you have to have someone with such privelages add you back

Advertisements

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Do you guys have Paypal accounts?

Even if you are not able to solve my problem I would like to buy you guys a beer for all you troubles and efforts.  :tazz:

I do this because I like to, so while I appreciate it... it's certainly not necessary. ;)