Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thermal compound

• Please log in to reply

knaggsy

knaggsy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My new heatsink for my AMD 64 3800+ came today its a AC freezer 64.

It came with some AC MX-1 thermal paste.

I used when i buuilt my comptuer my Artic silver 5 compound.

Which is better? which should i use to put this heatsink into my PC..

quick answer needed please because i wanna install it today. thanks

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
Amd recommends you use thermal pad not thermal paste. I had a link in your post for your overheating problem to the Amd site on installing there chips. If you still want to use the paste I would use the Artic silver 5 compound. but make sure you use only the right amount of it to much will make the chip over heat too. I would not recommend using the paste if you already had a overheating problem.
:tazz:

knaggsy

knaggsy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i only have paste here and local shop dosnt have any pads so i need to use paste for a tem[pory mesaure.

however i juse used to MX-1 paste (pain i nthe pass to puto n i think) and put the heat sink on now.

im using CPU burner to test the temprature under load and its currently 61 deg C under load.. which is a good improvement compaired to 73 underload and with spikes.

Its also alit quieter which is nice.

Edited by knaggsy, 22 June 2005 - 05:20 AM.

nost

nost

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
60 is to high it is overheating buy the look of the temperature

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

How much paste did you put on?? All you need is a small drop and then spread it out using a credit card or something similiar..

Also, it may take a few days for the paste to really start working..

Murray

.Hack

.Hack

• Pip
  • 7 posts
OMG 60 C it's way too much!!

Assuming you have a bad heatsink, bad paste and put your CPU with really full load (not any game, I'm talkin' bout Prime 95 or some similar program) you must get 50 MAYBE 53... and that's a lot actually.

Without load an AMD 3800+ (core Venice I guess, so it works at 1.35/1.4 volts wich is low) it should work fine at 39 C, and under heavy load it might rise up to 47. That with a Thermalright XP-90 wich is the one I am using.

.Hack

.Hack

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry for another post but try to never get a 60 C (not more neither!) on any "new" CPU 'cause they're made up with better technology (90nm process) wich means they're supposed to (and they do) spread out a lot less heat (sorry, bad english, hope you get the point). If you can keep up without even reaching the 50 C barrier, that would be real nice and it's not too hard to get (full load of course) with a good heatsink.

Hope this helps =]