Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer clean

• Please log in to reply

efoster

efoster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys

I have been reading through alot of the help forums and i really liek what you guys do. Keep up the good work.

First off yes i do have the nail virus and i do have some other issues but no this thread is not about them.

I wanted to know if this rumor i heard about "wiping" my computer clean is worth it. I have a 80gig computer and 120gig ex. hard drive, i mainly use this thing for photoshopping, the internet, and about 1 game. Its not too slow or sluggish but im anal when it comes to keeping things running smooth. So on my computer right now i have mainly psd files and pictures for school, i have drivers for my scanner, internet router, external harddrive etc..... Is it going to be worth bakcing up all my files and drivers(which i dont even know if i can get my router driver to work again if i tried) just to clean up my computer.

1. I wouldnt know where to start
2. I wouldnt know how to backup anything
3. Will it even get rid of these viruses
4. What can i do instead
5. What can i do to prevent me from having to do this again

Please keep in mind that im not computer saavy in the least, i know enough to get by. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808 .

1. I wouldnt know where to start

• Scan your computer with various infections that might be included during the back up process. READ HERE How...
  • Once you have a clean computer, you may want to have a new restore point.
    How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP, HERE
  • Read More HERE

2. I wouldnt know how to backup anything

5. What can i do to prevent me from having to do this again

• Get a Virtual PC HERE
  • Get the total Uninstaller HERE

Here are some useful TIPS  ;)

For your drivers!  ;)

• Please download Everest Home Edition HERE, run a hardware report about your computer. Save it as HTML then follow the links provided for the specific drivers available on your system.
:) These are some of my suggestions, others may have one and is open to add some more tips. ;)

Edited by kool808, 22 June 2005 - 07:34 AM.