Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Harddive ata 133, running at ata 100

• Please log in to reply

shady_305

shady_305

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello

I got 2 HDD's on one 133 cable, one HDD is 133 (master) and the other 100 (slave), does this mean that the 133 HDD will run at 100?

If not, in the windows settings for the IDE controller the 133 HDD is set to Ultra100 and that’s the highest setting I can get, Ultra133 not available to select.

Also other HDD 100 is set to Ultra100.

My motherboard is 133 and the cable is 133, read and write caching is selected on both HDD's, also tried a change of cable, and the motherboards drivers are up-to-date, so what’s the problem?

Models:
SP0802N – 80 GB Samsung SpinPoint P Ultra ATA/133
ST380011A - 80 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM Ultra ATA/100

Cheers anyone that can help
Joe

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
I am not sure if there is a fix!!??. . . . .

From what I have read on the ATA/133 . . . . the drive & interface are capable but the chipsets are not. . . .

Tech people & marketing people tend to argue over real transfer speed

The tech people claim that the ATA/100 drives are really faster . . .because the ATA/133 causes a "bottleneck" which actually results in a slower transfer speed ????

Depends on how the test is conducted & who is conducting the test!!!

Tech people say "save your money", when purchasing expansion controllers

As far as motherboards & drives . . . they claim that there is no "real" increase in price for ATA/133, but the expansion borards are not so sensative to truth. . . .

Soooooo from what I have read on this subject . . . . "it is what it is"!!

I keep looking & reading on this subject & asking the tech people.

Just passing on my experience (as little as it is) . . . .

Please reply with any knowledge on this subject . . . I am interested in any & all views

Jack123

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
you were correct in your first question. having a 100 and a 133 drive on the same cable will slow the faster drive down to 100.
the controller can only go as fast as the slowest device connected to it. this is why we never want to connect a hard drive on the same cable as a CD drive, as they typically run at 66, sometimes only 33!

its the same problem with ram- put in a stick of 133 with a stick of 100, both run at 100. even worse with newer machines, as a stick of DDR266 will slow down that shiny new stick of DDR400.

at your ata speeds of 100/133, it wont hurt you much to be limited to 100, so I wouldnt run out and buy a new drive over it. save that cash for when you want to get a new system, with SATA, DDR400 running dual channel so you have an 800 MHz fsb, etc. real improvements that make a big difference.

hope that helps!

shady_305

shady_305

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks appriciate your advice