Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer 6.0 Error

• Please log in to reply

amstuart

amstuart

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi:

This morning I am unable to surf the Internet. When I click-on the IE icon on my desktop I get, "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close; Do you want to send a report," etc. I repaired IE in Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs (drop-down list). The Internet is accessible because I can use LiveUpdate in Symantec's Norton Antivirus 2005. I did system scans with AdAware, Norton, SpyBot--everything remains clean.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks.

Adam

Advertisements

Beast

Beast

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I just found some help about repairing IE 6... here:

http://www.geekstogo...er_60-t251.html

My original message:

Can you use Windows Explorer? If so, you can type in any address in the address bar and use Windows Explorer as your web browser. The program is just about the same.

Quite often when this appears, what you need to do if you wish to use the "real" IE is to reinstall Windows.

But if you have a different browser on a CD somewhere, or can get it on CD (eg Mozilla FireFox), you can install and use that browser instead. I recommend this, until you feel it's time to reinstall for other reasons.

Fiddling with Internet Explorer also means fiddling with the file manager Windows Explorer and the system service Explorer. So in a way, you're lucky to only have a crashed Internet Explorer. But be prepared for a full reinstall any day.

/Rob

Edited by Beast, 22 June 2005 - 11:18 AM.

amstuart

amstuart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi Rob:

I did a quick GOOGLE search and landed on a MS article regarding BHO's and their interference with the normal IE operation. I scanned my ADD/Remove program list and found 4 programs, not installed by me, matching the MS article. I deleted these programs, rebooted, and voila---everything is back to normal.

Thanks for your input.

Adam