Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blocked Internet Access....HELP REAL SERIOUS!

• Please log in to reply

thepiper

thepiper

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I am being able to connect to the internet (two computers are showing up on the the taskbar saying connected at ......) however I can't access any web pages. It says web page not found..... There is no internet traffic. Even MSN, Yahoo, DAP Kazaa anything. However MSN and AVG Antivirus updaters are saying "flsmngr.dll is aBAD IMAGE. Please check with your installation diskette"

I used WinXP SP1 with a certain registry hotfix and Longhorn transformation pack. However I reinstalled winxp from my disk which is WITHOUT SP1.

Access to the web is absolutely critical. This is from my friend's computer. I don't have the HJT logs. Treat this as a preliminary source of info. I will followup later Recently i was hit by combo.exe I removed it by using AVG, geekstogo help and also by disabling active desktop.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

gilligan128

gilligan128

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
DO you have a router or personal firewall?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You are still loaded with spyware - BIG TIME !!

Did you do a complete cleaning of your hdd when you reloaded it or did you just do a repair??

Also, where did you get your XP cd from?? Can you return it for a replacement just in case ??

Murray

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
I agree with Murray, spyware can kill your DNS settings and routing tables. Best thing to run a complete system scan. you can download spybot its free and effective.
don't forget to update it first and run a deep scan.
delete any entries it finds and do a soft reboot.

let me know how you get on.
good luck :tazz:

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Thanks for the help guys......... but I solved it n my own. You see "flsmngr.dll" isn't supposed to be there in the first place.... it was a protocol handler. It featured as an unknown process on the HJT scan log. When I tried to fix it... it said cannot fix.... use Spybot. I have been using spybot for a year now, along with Ad-Ware. However they didn't help.

But I realised, this was something to do with Winsock32, so I used LSPFix (thanx to u guys for informing me of this software) and I removed flsmngr.dll as a protocol manager, and VIOLA!!!! i was back in business.

I think flsmngr.dll is a leftover of an earlier infection of combo.exe (Hijacked Desktop, Warning .....Your PC is in Danger...... that one)

I'll tell u how I removed it...... u might want to take note of this.....

I used AVG 1st... it detected combo.exe as a virus and removed it. However, my desktop didn't change. So I removed combo.exe, scombop.exe, scombo.exe and a lot of random exe files created by this Virus from the run,runonce etc list. I also used HJT.
Still no avail.
Next, since I realised the desktop warning was an HTML file, I clicked on properties>source and found out where the file was located. It was in the Windows>Web directory as desktop.html. I shredded this file. My desktop turned blank, but I still couldn't change the wallpaper.
As I was beginning to learn to live with it VERY reluctantly, I got a brainwave....

I went to the Active Desktop settings and disabled all entries there...... AND FINALLY GOT RID OF IT!!!!!!!

U guys tell me what u think of this......

PS:- Sum1 asked for my WinXP CD...... well u gotta realise that I am at least 3000 miles away from any of u...... I'm in India. :tazz: