Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd tray wont close

• Please log in to reply

vnelovienl

vnelovienl

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I dont know how but when i got to my computer the tray was out. i pressed the button and it didnt do anything. i dont know much about computers so i am clueless can someone help?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not suggested but can you close the tray by pushing it gently?(the tray not the button)

vnelovienl

vnelovienl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i tried that but it wont stay and it wont close with just a gently push

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
try rebooting the PC, and see if it will stay closed after that.
if no go, you may actually have a virus. there are some really stupid ones that do obnoxious things like open and close CD drawers.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Mycah

Mycah

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Most likely what audioboy said, there are hack tools that allow remote control of your pc utilitys. Example.... Your CD Tray..

Have you donwloaded anything from unsecure sources that may be causing this?

vnelovienl

vnelovienl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i dont think it is a virus because i cant even get it closed completely. could it be because it fell off track or something like that?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
heh, you should have mentioned that detail in your first post...so the motor isnt doing anything, you can just slide the drawer around?

if you press the open/close button, can you hear the gears spinning quietly? or do they grind loudly, or make no sound at all, as in nothing is happening?

depending on which of those is the case, a repair might be possible, if you mechanicly inclined enough to open the drive and try...
dont do that yet, post back with the symptoms.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
don't lose any springs.....those things are hard to get back on

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
A good way to find out is to try it in another computer and see if it does the same thing. If you have any techie buddies, it would be easy for them to switch a couple of the cables. I am only suggesting this because it sounds like a dead drive, which I hope it's not...

Good luck! :tazz:

vnelovienl

vnelovienl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
something pushes it back out. when i press the button i dont hear or see any thing moving and does it matter that its the cd burning tray?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i say pull it out and open it up...i mean you can't use it right now anyway so you can't really break it any more than it is

vnelovienl

vnelovienl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i dont want to do anything like that because i really dont know what parts are in there and need to be fixed

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....with as cheap as cd drives are nowadays....it's not a bad way to learn what parts are in one

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
yeah, its not gonna be much good to you as it is right now.
at this point if you want to try opening it up- unless its still fairly new and under warranty! if so, call wherever you got it from and see about a replacement.

otherwise, take a look. it might be fairly obvious, like a gear that popped off (could also explain what is keeping you from pushing the drawer in). worst case, it stays broken, and you have to buy a new one anyway.

vnelovienl

vnelovienl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
im just gonna let someone else figure it out its not my comp its a family one thats why i dont want to do anything to it

thanks so much for the help though