Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browsing across a network on XP

• Please log in to reply

SageAdvice

SageAdvice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

No, not the button, which yields that box,,,,in the scrolling list above, if file and print sharing is installed, you will see a file and print sharing -- double click THAT

View Post

Ok, I found it and disabled it and rebooted but no improvement. It really is hideously slow and gives the appearance of freezing up explorer when opening folders across the network from the XP machine. And yet, as stated previously, if I map the drive and browse the mapped drive it is normal. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
are these dynamically assigned or static IP addresses on this network?

SageAdvice

SageAdvice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

are these dynamically assigned or static IP addresses on this network?

View Post

static ip address here. Again, no problem browsing the XP machine from the 98 machine so it cannot be a network issue. Similarly, there was no problem either way with my win 95 machine. Only this XP has this issue and yet it's ok if I map the network drive. To me, thinking about this logically, this must be a flaw in the O/S. Afterall, what is mapping a network drive doing? It is merely assigning a local drive letter to a network drive. Why should that have any effect on browsing? And yet it does... Very strange. Now, you wouldnt notice this problem unless you are browsing a folder with several subfolders and files. By many I am saying a dozen or so subfolders and maybe 100 files or so per subfolder.