Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptops

• Please log in to reply

John67

John67

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Could anyone please tell me what the proper way to clean the inside of a laptop is? Is it the same for all laptop models?

Thank you,

~John~

Advertisements

alesh

alesh

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Why would you want to clean it?
Just for the sake of my curiosity?

A.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you can open the case without voiding the warranty just use canned air. DO NOT turn the can upside down or shake it in any way. this will cause liquid co2 to come out and freeze whatever it touches. and...yeah how did you get something in there to have to clean to begin with?

John67

John67

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Why would you want to clean it?
Just for the sake of my curiosity?

A.

View Post

Because if you don't keep it clean, the dirt will act like an insulator and overheat your computer causing it to malfunction or cease to work altogether.

John67

John67

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Actually, I have a small compressor I was going to use. It has pressure control, so I don't have to worry about blowing any of the components off.

:tazz: I didn't get anything inside the computer, I'm just doing a routine cleaning. All computers eventually collect dust which needs to be cleaned out every now and then.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right, good plan....but laptops are relatively well sealed and some manufacturers will void your warranty if you personally open the case so ya never know

John67

John67

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

right, good plan....but laptops are relatively well sealed and some manufacturers will void your warranty if you personally open the case so ya never know

View Post

I agree, they are very well sealed, but even so, the fans have to continuously suck in cool air from the outside in order to cool your internal components down, especially the processor. While this process is taking place, dirt and dust will get sucked in through the fans causing your components to overheat and possibly wreck your computer. Been there, done that.

As for the manufacturers warranty, what they don't know won't hurt. I just can't see paying a great deal of money for some company to do what I could do myself. Not saying it's right, but that's just how I look at it. I've always been a do-it-yourself kind of guy with everything. :tazz: