Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time setting this kind of network, PLEASE

• Please log in to reply

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
2 5 port switches = 10 ports, 5 each. If 4 computers are on each one, 8 ports are gone, each switch lost 4 ports. This leaves 1 port open on switch 1, and one port open on switch 2, if a crossover cable is connecting the two switches, then that takes care of BOTH of those last ports.

Anyway, David, I have made a diagram that "should" look somewhat like what you have, I'm still confused about how you have this all hooked up to only 2 5 port switches, but the diagram has all machines as you suggested they were. The first page you see, is the address assignment for each of the PCs, there is a link at the bottom for the diagram and what PC should get what IP.

Address Assignements

Greazy Mcgeezy

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Sorry never was good at maths

cal mennonitevillage

cal mennonitevillage

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm new to this forum but thought I would stick my nose in anyway, davidg47 if you block 4 computers from accessing the internet what are your plans for auto update?

Just something you should think about.

I think your best bet would be to add a firewall/ DSL router.
Lynksys and Netgear both have good routers for a cheap price, granted you can get better but not for the price. Not only can you use the Lynksys to manage the network traffic but you also get a decent firewall that you can control access to the internet. Personally I do not like D-link products and as someone who was once in a company co developing some of the wireless technology, I would say stay away from them.

Another thing you may want to think about is removing unwanted protocols from all computers to reduce network traffic.

davidg47

davidg47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
:tazz: Well Duh! Sorry about that guys... there are actually two 8 port switches. And as far as the money... sniff, sob, there's no money changing hands at all. I am doing this as a favor for a dear friend of mine. Actually she's an ex-girlfriend of mine who is now a really good friend. We've both moved on and married other people, and both have kids with our current spouses.
Anyway, I would greatly appreciate the schematic of how all of this would fit together, and what IP addressing scheme I should use.
Thanks again guys...
Dave

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you by chance could get a donation of a cheap piece of crap computer you could port llinux onto it and run dhcp with it and then NAT it to the modem.

davidg47

davidg47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
:tazz: Oh yeah, Right! As if in this country. Even a piece of crap computers cost a fortune here. It's because everything that comes into this country has heavy tarif taxes added to it. So before you can even pick it up from customs, you have to pay the taxes, a warehouse fee, a lawyer fee, and the customs fees. Geeze!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well i meant more of a finding one for free somewhere type of situation. or seeing if one of the users would prefer linux....hehe

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
with 8 port switches it should work fine
did greazy sen you the pic of the layout

davidg47

davidg47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
PeterM,
No, Greazy hasn't sent me the schematic yet. I hope he does before Sunday, because I want to be through with this thing before Monday afternoon. This working for free stuff is getting old.
Anyway, thanks guys for all of your help and advice... I feel sure we will be talking allot more in the near future.
Thanks
David

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
"But now the client wants all of the computers to connect to each other and see each other so they can play networked games"

if they all see the internet then they should see each other. have you gone to the hard drive on each machine and shared the hard drive?

Advertisements

davidg47

davidg47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi again PeterM,
Well, currently only 4 of the computers are accessing the internet. Plus, the 4 computers that access the internet do not see each other for some reason.
Dave

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you have to fix the dhcp problem before any of the rest of it will work

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
are the hard drives shared
what are the current ip set to dhcp or static
we need to know what the computer that connects to the internet is set to
as we do not want to change it's settings.

Edited by peterm, 08 July 2005 - 04:09 PM.

davidg47

davidg47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK, first, I am not using DHCP. There is not a server on this network. All I have here is 4 computers that are connected via an 8 port switch. Also coming out of the switch is a CAT5 to a DSL modem. All of the computers connected to this switch are set to obtain IP automatically, and obtain DNS automatically. There are 4 additional computers connected to another 8 port switch. There is a crossover CAT5 cable between the two switches that connects them together.

All I need is for the 4 computers that are connected to the switch with the CAT5 cable that goes to the DSL to all be able to access the internet. (Which they already do)

But, I need to know how to set the TCP/IP addressing so that all 8 computers can see each other, and allow network wide playing of games between the 8 computers. The 4 computers that are connected the the second switch do not need to have internet access.

I hope I have painted a clear picture of what's going on, and what I need to do. If you have any questions, or need clarification... please feel free to ask.

Thanks again,
David

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
The schematic and address assignment is posted above on the link that says:

http://www.bminnix.c...vid/address.htm

The first part of it is the assignment numbers, the link at the bottom that says "Diagram" leads to the diagram of how you should be plugged with what equipment you are using.

Greazy Mcgeezy