Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need ideas with Case

• Please log in to reply

duckie

duckie

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, I'll try to keep this short.

Basically I can't stand my current computer anymore and thinking of getting a laptop. But I don't want to pay that much for it so I started thinking of building a shuttle pc instead (they look neat in pictures).

My question is, is it worth the couple hundred extra bucks to get a shuttle? or should i build a normal size computer instead?

I've built a computer before with help. This one I'm building for college (a little bit of travelling) and I don't plan to upgrade much in the next few years.. I have a lot of patience. I plan to do some gaming but nothing too graphic intensive. No overclocking or anything fancy either so shuttle's psu should hopefully be sufficient.

So please tell me the pros and cons of shuttle pcs and what type of users you think is suitable of getting one. What I should watch out for, its limitations, etc. Specifically I'm looking at the SN95G5 V3 model right now (or which model would you recommend?).

Thanks in advance! :tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Shuttle or any other bare bones are limited by their size the boards for them have limited space and therefore can have alot of features missing. Expandibility isnt the greatest either again due to size. On a good point you can do alot of stuff independant of the OS on them. They also are very small.

For a proper pc though they are no longer big boxes of plastic there are tons of nice steal(takes a beating) and aluminium(light as a feather) cases around for a very light case that would suit you check out the antec super lanboy. Lanboys make for very light pcs and come with a carry strap and how far could you possibly have to travel with it once or twice year.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I have a system that is shuttle based. I'm using the SB65G2, which has yet to fail me. Surprisingly enough, it doesn't overheat, abnd it very quiet. I'm running a raptor drive, and a 3.0 p4 with a gig of ram, and it's smooth sailing. For the size and the money, they are great boxes. The onboard audio and 802.11 wireless are great. Solid case design and construction, and feels bigger inside than what you would expect in something that size. Great case, and I got it instead of a laptop, so you might want to. I love mine, use it for LAN parties all the time.