Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading RAM

• Please log in to reply

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
err im using a Asus K8V-X (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN) which my processor is a AMD Atlhon 64, and im using 2x 512 mb ddr+sdram

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Your mobo maxes out at 3GB of RAM or a 1GB chip per slot..

Go to www.crucial.com and do a search for your motherboard.. They will tell you exactly what you can use and, if you buy from them, it is guaranteed to work or your money back!!

Murray

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
check yourt manual for ram configs. if you dont have the manual go to asus and download it. section 1.7 covers memory. basically, if you load up the 3rd slot, you will have more ram, but its speed will be slower. FSB maxes out at 333 with all 3 slots loaded, as opposed to 400 using the dual channel config (2 matched sticks of ram, called a dual channel kit).
FSB speed is important, as it controls the speed of everything moving through the machine. a dual channel kit of 2x 512 ram will serve you great.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Which slots are the memory chips in now??

As long as you are using single-sided memory, then you will retain the higher FSB..

The manual also recommends the "blue slot" be used first.. So, if you have one stick in the blue slot and one in the black slot now, thewn you are probably running single-sided.. therefore, you could pick up anything up to a 1GB stick and put it in as long as it was single-sided also!!

Murray

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
well i have 2x 512 mb in the black slots, i have a 256 mb ram from my other computer which has a p3 processor, i tried inserting the ram inside the blue, it fits but im afraid it wont detect or it would screw uip

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
hmm, I wouldnt even bother adding 256 stick. the small increase in ram count wont even make up for the slowdown in buss speed.
try what murray said, move one of your 512 sticks into the blue slot, and the other into the first black slot next to it. this should kick you up to dual channel, and give you a big speed increase.
again, check the manual, it will have all the details.

aznblade1

aznblade1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
how much doesnt it change tho? i inserted my 512 into the blue slot, everhting runs nornmaly... how u kno how much speed did it increased?

Deadringers

Deadringers

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
im not sure but it should be in BIOS some where that will tell you the speed it is running at. and IF it is running faster then you should notice a speed increase in loading up programs and windows.