Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Identity finder

• Please log in to reply

happymedium61

happymedium61

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I wonder if anyone can help me find some software that can locate a person whom is IM'ing you and/or stalking you via IM..

My daughter has a man whom claims he is 15 years old and obviously wants to have sex with her. She is a minor and I will not have this person harrassing both my child and my wife with his demanding to see my child. I would like to locate him and get all his information, ie his location address etc, so I can give the information to the Police.

There has to be some software I can download or buy at a store to help me locate this animal..

Please help me as he is now using profound language to my wife, and I'd like to make sure he serves some time in prison, and be asked to pick the soap up in the showers...

Advertisements

aldaros23

aldaros23

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
just let the police handle it

if you have suspicions give the email and the instant messaging program you're daughter is using to the police and they can check it out for you

if there was tracking software available - they would be the first to have it

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I have to agree. Let the police handle it...and then BLOCK the guy from being able to IM you. That's the easiest way to get rid of him.

Mycah

Mycah

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Report it to the cops :tazz: they can do it, they have programs and connections (eg they can get the ip from the host, track it with a sniff, and go arrest the no life creep)

happymedium61

happymedium61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the advice guys, what I did manage to find was a free program that allowed you to find any person in the US. And yes it is completely free, no charges unless you wish to do a criminal check etc then I think it's about $39.

My wife managed to get him to talk in a decent manor last night on MSN messenger. This still doesn't mean I trust this fiend. When she ask him if he lived at a certain address, he sort of went a tad quiet. As I have limited policing skills (long story but ain't going there) I wish to persue him myself, then hand all the info over to the local sheriffs dept. Don't worry I shant step on anyone toe's law wise.

I have a sniffer program but it won't work on XP as it was made for Win 98. I tried and it crashed & burned..lol

Sorry I can't remember the name of that free person finder as it's on my laptop, but when I next use it I'll give you the web addy..

Many Thanks,

Dave..

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I'm sorry, but I truly don't understand why you feel YOU need to do the police work. This just doesn't sound right to me. If this person was harassing MY 16 year old, the FIRST thing I would do is BLOCK them....not keep talking to them. Then I would notify the police, and be DONE with it. I don't understand why you and your wife keep talking to this person who is allegedly stalking your daughter, and why you feel the need to find him yourself. Something doesn't sound right about that to me. I'm sorry if I sound harsh or anything, but this has been bother me all evening, and I had to post.

happymedium61

happymedium61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That's Ok Kat, I sometimes don't understand my wife either but that's life I suppose. I guess she was just trying to get as much info on this man as possible.

Where as I don't talk with him online, as it makes me very angry indeed as it would any parent. He's posing as a 15 year old I know he's at least 18. Therefore can be charged with something against a minor.

He sent a letter to her father's house, as I am her step father. And we won't get that letter until the weekend. Then I'm sure steps will be taken in hand to issue a statement to the police, to persue this fiend. You see some folk don't realise that when they send evidence in the form of a letter. It is incriminating against you in a court of law. Her father intercepted the letter, as he saw a change in her behaviour when she was at his house.

I'll keep you posted on this issue as I can see that it is annoying to you, sorry for causing distress..

David..

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

I'll keep you posted on this issue as I can see that it is annoying to you, sorry for causing distress..

David..

View Post

It's not "annoying" to be honest. It *is* distressing. I can understand the fear and frustration. As I said, I have a 16 yr old daughter myself, as well as a 10 yr old. Neither are allowed to use Instant Messenger, and ALL of their internet activity is closely monitored...for just this reason. I can't imagine how freaked out I would be in this situation.
If you would rather, you can pm me anytime about this, instead of posting it here. That is entirely up to you. I *WOULD* like to know how it turns out if you wouldn't mind!
Good luck to you!