Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Burn In/ Assemble Option on Radeon 9800 Pro

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm ordering a Ati Radeon 9800 Pro from a wholesaler (ones I found on pricegrabber...such as Spartan Technology or PC Progress. Whenever I proceed to checkout, it always asks me whether I would like to Burn In/ Assemble my order. The description is as follows:

(Company) will put each system and/or component through vigorous testing to ensure maximum performance and reliability. Our lab will not only test each piece of hardware individually but will also burn in the entire system as a whole using Ultra-X's QuickTech Pro software. This software is a professional-level PC diagnostic software program that will run your system or component through the most vigorous diagnostics available.

The bios on the motherboard will be updated to the latest available version in accordance with the manufacturer's website. This allows for flexible, rapid integration of current and future peripheral technology. Over 57 tests will be conducted on the motherboard including testing of the USB, Serial, Parallel, PS/2, DMA controllers, interrupt controllers, timer/counter, keyboard controller, and real-time clock/CMOS RAM, PCI, PnP and SMbus.

Each processor will be installed and tested. The CPU test checks the control, address, data, and flag registers of the processors. The NPU test check's the system's math coprocessor.

Our technicians use RAM Stress Test Professional (R.S.T. Pro) which is a memory testing PCI hardware card that utilizes firmware technology designed for rigorous testing needs. Over 24 testing algorithms are used during this RAM testing. This utility provides our technicians the ability to run sophisticated test patterns to detect hard to find memory errors, which are not detected by other test software.

Hard Drive
Inversion, controller, seek and read tests are performed to check a drive's overall condition. We also test each drive using the manufacturers respective diagnostic software.

The drives data transfer rate for the inner and outer tracks are tested as well as extreme seek times, average seek time, and the drive's speed.

Other peripherals including but not limited to Video cards, Modems, Sound cards etc.. are also tested using the Quicktech Pro software.

System Assemblies - Once we complete the installation of an operating system our technicians will update each peripheral's drivers and will also provide any software upgrades that are relevant. This includes any of the Windows updates available from Microsoft. By doing so, we can pledge a smooth running, optimally performing system. When your system is burned-in/assembled by our technicians, it will have undergone: 57 motherboard tests, 28 hard drive tests, 9 floppy drive tests, 15 CD-ROM, DVD, CD-RW, ARMD (Zip and LS120) tests, 20 COM port tests, 25 parallel port tests, 20 modem tests, 21 printer (parallel) tests, 15 video graphics tests, 9 monitor tests, sound card tests, speaker test, mouse tests, an individual test for each keyboard key, 24 unique and proprietary algorithm memory tests and much more. That is over 300 tests to scope out the most evasive system errors. We will include an inventory & diagnostic report of your burn-in with your shipment.

I'm not sure if this is relevant at all to what I'm ordering, and not being a hardware wiz, I'm curious if my card will not assembled or will require anything manual other than installation if I order it without this option. Any advice or information would be appreciated...

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
If all your ordering is the video card then no, there is no other assembly or installation required other than placing the card into the AGP slot of your computer. The burn in option only means that the company will run the card through vigorous stress tests, such as playing high end games like Doom 3 on the highest video setting to see if it can hold up and that it won't freeze up or anything when playing those types of games.

Personally, I think that as long as you've done your homework and you know the limitations of the card your getting (ie. weather or not its designed to play the games you want to play) then you don't need the burn in option.

Edited by cheathawk1, 24 June 2005 - 02:01 AM.