Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell internet probs

• Please log in to reply

adavi221

adavi221

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello everyone

Real quick here my old computer hooked up just fine i got this dell rebooted it to a new state installed the nic card drivers and heres my problem and my isp says its not them...which i believe now....i hook up to the internet when i manually configure everything..my dns servers and ip address...if i dont manually configure everything i get automatic private address(?????) and i get a 169 number..what setting is off anyone have any ideas.my only other option is to pay for a static and keep my connection.i see no reason for a static so im hoping someone could help.Im typing this on the dell i recieved my ip and dns and subnet off my old one(had to hook it back up)Like i said everything works manual so i think a setting might be set wrong by default or something.any help would be great thanks adavi221

Edited by adavi221, 22 June 2005 - 10:31 PM.

Advertisements

Mycah

Mycah

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
First off, 2 questions

XP On this computer?

Also

Are you using a router?

adavi221

adavi221

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Running xp sp1 since i wasnt able to connect with it and no im not using a router just the modem...my emachine hooks up just fine it also had xp but this baby wont connect unless it manually configured.I also tried a diff nic card in it to see if it would work and i get the same thing. i cant remeber what its called now but i dont get a 192 with it it was bridged?????now i actually get a ip address.im willing to post anything to get it resolved..if i cant i might just have fork out more money and get static

Edited by adavi221, 23 June 2005 - 06:23 AM.

adavi221

adavi221

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
nvm somehow i got it fixed now instead of saying automatic private address it says assigned by dhcp

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
bridged? un bridge your connection and reboot and see what your ip is:

open a command prompt (start, run, cmd) and typ in ipconfig.

to release and renew:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Starjax