Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hamsters Wheel - reboot, off, reboot, off reboot.

• Please log in to reply

murdo7

murdo7

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer keeps shutting down on startup.
it cycles itself - power-up, shut down, power-up, shut down, power-up, shut down ............ I get as far as begining to log on to my PC and it reboots. If i do nothing it reboots at about the same time as it would take me to log on.
I have now managed to quickly log on and it didnt reboot - No, it asked me to register Windows? - did that and now it seems ok.
Now the frustrating bit. I got this far last night, but when i switched on this morning it was back to reboot, reboot, reboot - quick fingers- loged in - asked me to register windows - done that - now here i am back to being online, but know that as soon as i log off i will be back to rebooting again.
I have tried to use the restore facility, but it wont let me. Tried to get into Safe mode and have to be quick to get there.
Have run AVG, Adaware, Spybot, Trogan Hunter and CwShredder.
:tazz: HELP ;)

Murdo

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
I had the exact same problem round 6 months back. But i had another problem with that, if i loaded memory heavy apps, then again my system would reboot. And i would hav to start thwe whole process again.
I finally, found out my RAM chip was spoilt. Not sure but u might have the same problem.
To validate ur RAM download Memtest from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/. And post ur results

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do you mean reactivate?

Boot into "Safe Mode" by pressing (F8) during a reboot.

Go to Start > Run, type:
regsvr32 regwizc.dll
<enter>

Then go again to
Start > Run, type:
regsvr32 licdll.dll
<enter>

perhaps the above files became unregistered.