Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Award Bios help needed

• Please log in to reply

sknne

sknne

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi guys,

I really need and would appreiciate some help with this matter.
I need to update my bios in order for my mother board to recognize a 1gb corsair stick i recently purchased. I signed up to award bios thingy, and they sent me my new bios update and all teh instructions on how to create a floppy etc..

Now my problem is when i boot up the floppy with the .bin file on the disk, it attempts to go through the awdflash procedure, but just ends up hanging on please wait!

Now this is the weird part, when i create the floppy without the .bin file on it, and run awdflash, it begins the process properly, and it backs up my bios with no trouble, but when its finished that, it obviously wants the .bin file so that it can flash my system, but its not on the disk.

any help will do, ive got a right headache sorting this one out!

Cheers in advance.

sknne
:tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Can you put the .bin file on another disk and then just swap the discs when it asks for it.

sknne

sknne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I tried that one, but even if the .bin file isnt present on the disk, it just says source file not found and goes back to the beggining, theres no point at which it stops and asks for the .bin file, its weird?? :tazz: so possible swapping of the disks during isnt possible as far as i know.

sknne

sknne

sknne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Come on guys, doesnt anyone know how to resolve this issue?
Its a nightmare, im beggining to think that the manufacturer has locked the bios so it cant be flashed. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Put the disk without the bin file then put one with the rest and bin file in. Contact the mobo manufacturer and see if they can help.

sknne

sknne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Just tried that one dude. It does the same where it seems if the bin file is recognized, then the process wont complete, like as if the machine knows its not supposed to be flashed.
I think my only option here would be to either
A) buy the exact same mother board and replace the one i have,
or
B)Buy a new bios chip.

What do you think?

Edited by sknne, 24 June 2005 - 05:39 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Phone your mobo manufacturer or pc manufacturer and tell them there kit is kak and get them to tell you how to fix it.

sknne

sknne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I will do LOL, thanks for the help dude.

Later.

Have a good weekend.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
weekend allready yay its my birthday on monday woohoo money for my new rig wooooooooooo hoooooooooo.

sknne

sknne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Happy Birthday for monday!!!!! ;)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
thanks. 18 i cant believe it will be legal i can go down the pub and buy guiness now.

Edited by warriorscot, 24 June 2005 - 10:19 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you checked that the bios write protect setting is disabled?

sknne

sknne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I think it is enabled, but I dont seem to be able to locate where it is in the bios settings as they probably hid that option as well, unless theres a way round that?
Thats probably why it just locks up when it begins to flash the bios. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you looked in advanced chipset features. Its usually hidden try ctrl + F1 it might be different check your mobo manual.

sknne

sknne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi warriorscot,
Ive looked at the mobo manual that i downloaded here.

http://www.msi.com.t...?UID=296&kind=1

and cannot find anything about that. I reset and tried it, but it just took me to the bios, as I press F1 to get there anyhow. one thing i thought was a bit weird, i set a supervisor password, and when it first goes into Bios and asks for the password quite a few more options appear at the bottom of the screen, but as soon as i enter the password, they dissapeer!! hmmmm.

sknne