Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Award Bios help needed

• Please log in to reply

Jonkerfrisjes

Jonkerfrisjes

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had the same problems updating my old ABIT-BX6 motherboard.
After some readings i made a boottable disk and added the awdflash executable and BX6_QS.BIN
I used awdflash823 and followed the instructions.
Every time when i put the file name into the box, the programm said:
No source file in the new folder.
After putting the extension .Bin behind the filename, the programm starts to work.

I hope this is your answer. :tazz:

Advertisements

sknne

sknne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Same problem arises, it seems it just doesnt like the fact that im trying to flash the bios.
One thing that I tried, i made a bootable cd in nero, and put all the relevant files on the disc, it booted fine, and i ran the awdflash program, now when i put in the name of the bios update file, i cam up saying insufficiant memory??! im confused by this as its in dos, not windows, so how can it be out of memory?

:tazz:

Jonkerfrisjes

Jonkerfrisjes

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I used a bootable disk wich a made with W98SE. The space left after installation is not much so i didn't made a backup of the old bios on it.
It seems that it won't work with a bootable disk made with another system(XP or ME etc).

My board is now updated and is working fine. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dos is a right pain for memory allocation it still uses alot of the weird memeory standards for some reason you can make a floppy disc to give it more memory, although i have only noticed this in older software it seems strange for the problem to occur with award bios update. Did your mobo manufacturer tech support offer you any help.

sknne

sknne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Not at all, they told me I had to speak to the guys who i bought it from seen as it was shop bought, and all they told me (pc world) is that I shouldnt have a problem upgrading the memory, hmm, conspiracy??!" lol

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you have a warranty with the manufacturer, they are right though that you have a contract with PC world and if the warranty is still good they are obliged to check it and replace it if neccesary free of charge. You have to be firm with guys at shops and some manufacturers because they dont wont to go to the trouble of helping you.

Also never buy in PC world they are a bunch of rip off merchants they can have above and beyond 50% price markups on internet shops and the guys on the internet still make a good profit so it says something about the normal shops.

But your warranty entitles you to the manufacturer techsupport as well and the option to RMA direct to them if you so wish, consumer law is in your favour here you have a contract with both be firm make them think you could sue them and they will help.
Is it an MSI motherboard if so thats quite unusual i had heard there tech support was quite good.

sknne

sknne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yea it is, i think the guy at the other end of the phone was having a bad day, not my problem i know, but i ran out of dinner time and had to get back to work so i just said "Oh sod it then" and hung up. lol

Does anyone know where I can acces my advanced chipset features on my mobo?
But i think ill attempt it again when I have some free time.
Youre right though warriorscot.

I know it was a few days back, but what did you get for your birthday!!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lots and lots of money for my new pc build. Which was much better than all those presents that are quite nice but you have no real use for. I should have all my pc parts tommorow cant wait.

Definately try again i hate it when people try and con other people out of what they are due.

sknne

sknne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I will do thanks. ;)

Ill post a follow up on this topic so keep an eye out. :tazz:

sknne

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Not sure if you ever resolved this, but if not, then in order to disable the bios flash protection, you need to :
go into bios
select the Advanced Bios Features menu
select the Flash Protection option & set this to Disabled.

While enabled, you will not be able to update the bios

Advertisements

sknne

sknne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Samm

I think that that is the main problem, i cant access the advanced features in my bios, and im not sure how to get to them, so any ideas would be apprieciated.
My mother board manual can be found here.

http://www.msi.com.t...?UID=296&kind=1

regards

sknne