Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window XP won't boot up

• Please log in to reply

troywest

troywest

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I left my Desk PC on all of last night, connected to the Internet; I’ve done it before, loads of times.
This morning when I awoke (7.30 am GMT), the monitor was off (The green LED had changed to orange) which is what happens when the PC has been switched off in the normal way except that it was still running.
I pressed the reset button, expecting it to re-boot but nothing appeared to happen

Normally when I re-boot the computer the red activity light starts to flash on and off and the monitor turns on, but this didn’t happen, the stupid thing just sits there doing nothing. The fan is running and the Mains light is on

I have tried unplugging the PC from the mains, even loaded the Windows XP disc, hoping to boot from the disc but nothing seems to work, the monitor just stays blank.
The Monitor does attempt to turn on at boot-up, the LED turns green but changes back to amber standby almost immediately. I am using my laptop to post this message.

My OS is Windows XP Pro.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Troy

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I just posted this to another thread, but it may be applicable to you

Speculation: Power supply

A power supply is actually three power supplies in one (sorta). The symptom you describe can be when part of the power supply goes bad.

Each power supply has a 12volt rail, a 5 volt rail, and a 3.3 volt rail. the 12 volt rail powers anything with a motor, a 5 volt rail powers the on switch and some older video cards, and the 3.3. volt rail powers the memory, cpu, and videocard.

In your case, it could be both the 12volt and the 3.3 volt rail that have gone.

Sometimes, you can smell the power supply and discern this. If you have another pc, or know someone who does, this is the easies thing in the world to check. You don't even need to remove the power supplies, just put the PCs next to each other and stretch the wires over from the known good to the known bad.

troywest

troywest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for your reply

It set me on the correct route. My PC is still under guarentee so now that I know it's a hardware program I have contacted the manufacturere.(Ebay) I hope they honour their guarentee.

Troy