Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why does my computer keep turning off?

• Please log in to reply

JerryJustin

JerryJustin

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have recently had some trouble with my desktop computer. Sometimes, it will shut off with no warning, as though it had been unplugged or something. I ruled out the possibility of it being an issue with the outlet, because I have a battery backup. The other items connected to the backup work just fine, but the computer shuts off suddenly anyhow.

I also think it is fairly safe to rule out the idea of a virus, because the only program I have installed is EverQuest 2. (Samsonn on the Toxx server, in case ya wanna say "Hi"---I'll even give ya a free Tier5 box if you are the first.) :tazz:

I think this narrows it down to a hardware problem, although I am not certain. So...

1) Is there any thing I can do to further be able to tell if it is a hardware or software problem?

2) If by process of elimination, it *is* a hardware problem, how can I tell which part is the offending part?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

Jerry

Advertisements

ghosthunter83

ghosthunter83

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I had the same problem. My PC would either turn off, or reboot by itself. It turned out that the power supply was bad. Replaced it, all was well. You can check it by using a Multimeter. The volts should be listed on the power supply. If you are under those, then the power supplly is bad.

Edited by ghosthunter83, 23 June 2005 - 11:49 AM.

JerryJustin

JerryJustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Excellent, thanks! That may help!

Er, where do I get a Multimeter? :tazz: Well, a good / accurate one, anyhow?

Thanks again!

ghosthunter83

ghosthunter83

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
You can get one anywhere. I would recommend Walmart or Target, better prices than Radio Shack.

ghosthunter83

ghosthunter83

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I don't think the issue is software. I would start with the power supply. They don't cost too much, around $25-$30. I would not buy it from the maker, IE Gateway, Dell, ETC. They will stick it to you good. Usually a local computer shop will have what you need. However, if you have either a Gateway or Dell...you might have problems. Some models have power supply's you can only get from them, good luck. :tazz:

ghosthunter83

ghosthunter83

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
One other thing you may want to check. Make sure that the CPU fan is working. Also, if you have a chassis fan, make sure it works also. If the temp gets too high, that may cause it to shut down also.

JerryJustin

JerryJustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
And now, a stupid question, to help save a bit 'o time...

Since I am expecting to have to go buy a power supply, how do I know what "kind" to get? Aside from wattage, I mean, of course. I don't think I even questioned this when I bought my power supply, I just kinda grabbed one (which may explain my problem with it now...although, 4 years seems a good life span for a power supply). So, thankfully, this desktop deal is something I built, and I don't have to go through Dell, or anyone else. :tazz:

Thanks!

I will, of course, check the fans when I open the case, but thought I'd ask about what kind of power supply I might want, first.

ghosthunter83

ghosthunter83

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
There is no such thing as a stupid question... :tazz:

I have found that there really are no power supply's that are better than others. Sure there are some high-end models, but if I can get one that works, for a lower price, without some bells or whistles, that's where I am going. The only thing that you need to be sure of is the wattage. That is the main thing. Try to get one the same or higher. Higher is better if you have allot plugged in to it. And make sure that it has the same amount of plugs. I didn't do that once, and couldn't plug in some items. I eventfully found an "adapter" that would give me a couple of more plugs. I am sure that you know this, just unplug the computer before you start working on it.