Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Background hijack [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bruceandphil

bruceandphil

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Attached File  hijack_log.txt   19.77KB   122 downloadsHey I had a virus that installed a program called Spy Sheriff. I managed to get rid of it however I now am unable to alter the background on my computer. When I try to alter my background all of the alternative background have been blocked out. I have attached my hijack log. Thanks alot

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi BruceandPhil,

Please print out these instructions or copy them into a text file on your Desktop for easy access.

During the fix, u will be asked to fix some entries, delete some files or uninstall sosme programs. If in case, you do not see those entries / files / programs, please make a note of it. Continue with the fix and in your next post please inform me of all deviations from the fix prescribed.

1. Download Programs

Please download these programs and save them in a new folder on your desktop -

SSFix.exe
CleanUp
Ewido Security Suite

Update the definitions of Ewido to the newest files and then close it. Do NOT run a scan yet.

Restart the PC in Safe Mode (repeatedly tap the F8 key when the PC is starting up).

2. Remove Infections

Run SSFix.exe

Run Ewido full scan. Let it fix any items it finds.

Close all windows

3. Run Hijack This

Run Hijack This and click on scan. The following items need to be fixed -

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - (no file)
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [qrqf] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\qrqf\qrqfm.exe

Close all windows other than Hijack This. Check the boxes next to above items and click on Fix checked.

4. Delete Rogue files

Open Windows explorer (right click on start and then click on explore). Locate and delete the following folders, if found -

C:\Program Files\SpySheriff
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\qrqf

Run CleanUp and delete all temp files including temporary internet files.

Reboot the PC in Normal Mode.

Run Hijack This and post a fresh HJT log along with Ewido scan report.

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with address of this thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.