Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Inaccessable Fax Printer / Console

• Please log in to reply

johnbfdma

johnbfdma

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I am running XP Pro SP2. I have been using the XP Fax Printer/Console. Some time ago (well before before SP2). I would periodically find that I could not access the Fax Printer or the Fax Console. Sometimes I get the message "All Fax Printers are inaccessable". Restaring the PC doesn't seem to help. Generally the only way I have been able to resolve the problem is to uninstall the fax component and reinstall it. It is a pain.

I can't seem to find any info in the MS knowledge base

I like to keep things simple and would prefer to use the standard stuff when possible (not to mention my custom cover pages), but the uninstall / reinstall routine is getting tiresome and I am about ready to get a third party fax program.

Any idea what might be going on?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hello John, welcome to GTG! <_<

Try going to add/remove programs in the control panel, select add/remove Windows components. Untick the selection box for Microsoft fax. Restart your computer, then returm to the same location and tick the checkbox to reinstall. Have your XP CD handy.

johnbfdma

johnbfdma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have done that at least 3 times over the last few months and it works for a while then the problem re-occurs. I suspect that something else must be overwriting a file somewhere, but how to figure out which one and what is doing it is the challenge.