Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

auto shut down

• Please log in to reply

hiram392

hiram392

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
:tazz: I am running a P III system w/ Windows XP. Whenever I shut down system I see the closing screens and the last one states that the system is now ready to be turned off. I have to manually hold the start button to shut down the system. Is there an item that needs to be turned on/off to allow the system to automatically shut the system down?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
has it always been like that, or is this new?

In order for the PC to shut completely down you need to have advanced power management functions built into the motheboard.

hiram392

hiram392

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
This is an older system that my daughter had. It was running windows 98 and then 2k. I am not sure, but I don't remember having to manually shut down the units.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

click the + next to COMPUTER, what do you see?

What I mean by do it before or always, I mean always on WinXP?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Check and see if it's installing updates. In the Automatic Update mode it installs updates during shutdown, and if the updates don't install well together it may hang. The solution would be to turn off Automatic and install the updates a few at a time. :tazz:

hiram392

hiram392

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'll have to take a look at it tonight. Unit is at home. Thanks, I'll be in touch!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you still didn't quite answer my question about always with xp

it is possible that windows setup installed the wrong HAL (hadware abstraction layer)

hiram392

hiram392

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Always w/XP...sorry

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
thank you.

What is the make and model of this PC? It could be that the hardware is not compatible with Windows XP, which could result in this occuring. There may be a bios update to address it.

hiram392

hiram392

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Checked the computer last night. Didn't really see a model no. on the unit. It is a Systemax Venture PentiumIII /600...to the best of my knowledge! :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I just remembered something about at (as opposed to atx) type motherboards. When you're running win98*admin on them and you shut down the computer, a message comes on the screen saying "your computer can now be safely turned off". I'm betting you are using an at type motherboard.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download Everest Home

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and attach it to your next post

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
also,

start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

expand + next to computer....what does it say there? ACPI UNIPROCESSOR?

hiram392

hiram392

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am downloading the Everest as we speak. Will follow up with report as soon as it is finished. When I go to Dev. Mgr. I see Standard PC when I expand the computer icon. I also see the message that Tyger mentioned in his last reply.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

I am downloading the Everest as we speak.  Will follow up with report as soon as it is finished.  When I go to Dev. Mgr.  I see Standard PC when I expand the  computer icon. I also see the message that Tyger mentioned in his last reply.

View Post

I can already tell you that this is your problem...Windows either detected the wrong hardware when it was first setup, or your hardware is not 100 percent windows xp compatible.

There is NO WAY to change this from Standard PC to ACPI Uniprocessor PC (which is what you need it to be for this function to work), without reinstalling windows.

If you tried to force it, which is technically possible, there is a great possibility that you will hose your system and make it completely inoperable and lose all of your date.

If you still wish to load everest, I can possible tell if windows setup messed up in installing the wrong HAL -- hardware abstraction layer.