Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC problem

• Please log in to reply

ObscureDreamer

ObscureDreamer

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Good afternoon,

I dont know what is causing this but every day it seems i get a new problem!

Sound card problems, and now when i turn on my pc it gives me an error on the beggining, i think its an hardware problem... then i press F2 to load default values and it continues and loads windows normaly... where i always see the time changed! For example, i've turbed it on at 16.27 PM and it was marking 00.27 AM.... its all very strange... :tazz:

Please, if someone can give me some advice or help, i'd be gratefull!

Thanks in advance...

Advertisements

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
There should be a battery on your mobo, like a watch battery. That is what the mobo uses to keep time in your BIOS. Since you time is changing, you need to change that battery or deal with it.

Is it a new mobo, or is it an older one?

What is your sound card doing/not doing?

ObscureDreamer

ObscureDreamer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I own the board for 1 year with no problems... the sound card i've fixed by reeinstall the drivers...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Follow 1nfection's advice and change the CMOS battery as it is either failing or dead. That is the reason for the F2 requirement when booting up - CMOS is not holding the settings!!

Murray

ObscureDreamer

ObscureDreamer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've never done that before... i have no idea how to do that...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
The battery will look like an aversized watch battery and will be somewhere on the motherboard..

Just power down thwe system and open the case.. Pop out the old one and use it when you buy the new one.. Pop the new one back in and away you go..

Or, take it to a tech.. it may cost a little for them to do it but they may let you watch and learn so you can do it yourself next time !!

Murray

ObscureDreamer

ObscureDreamer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've just remembered, i've had this problem a while ago... but at that time suddenly it has turned back to normal again.. so i dont know.. :S

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just do it !! The battery is cheap and will definitively rule out that as a possible cause !!

Murray

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
That means that the battery is failing. YOu're CMOS might be fine of 2-3 boots, but that won't last forever. If you're having problems now, get a new battery and test the old one. Plus, it can't hurt to have an extra lying around in case this happens to a buddy :tazz: