Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing Bluetooth

• Please log in to reply

bookie

bookie

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I am trying to use Microsoft ActiveSynch to synchronize my Dell Axim X30 and IBM Thinkpad T-21 (XP SP2) using Bluetooth. I was infected with spyware (recovered the PC thanks to all the help here!) and uninstalled Bluetooth but now am trying to reinstall the Dlink DBT-120 USB adapter-- about 5 times (no thanks to Dlink). Now when I check com ports my Bluetooth is showing up on Com 17 and Com 18. ActiveSynch looks at ports 1-3 so I can't get them to communicate. Can anyone help me figure out how to move the Bluetooth down into the ActiveSynch range or delete unused com ports or get ActiveSynch to look for ports higher than 1-3? The whole Bluetooth thing is confusing to me but I think if I can resolve this issue I can get them talking to each other.

Thanks for any help.

SORRY-- I didn't notice this forum didn't include XP problems.

Edited by bookie, 23 June 2005 - 10:13 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I was gonna say, never saw that with win98

start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

Select VIEW > HIDDEN DEVICES

under ports, do you see a bunch of unused ones? Delete them

bookie

bookie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks so much for the reply, Gerry. I didn't know there was even that option. I was hoping the fact that I posted this in the wrong area it wouldn't get completely overlooked and I didn't want to post again.

Under ports I only show two Bluetooth Com Ports (17 and 18), Communications Port (Com 1), and Printer Port (LPT1). However, under network adapters, I have 20 adapters listed. Would they consume serial ports?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not necessarily....I've run into this before, and somewhat recently...hang tight--going to do a search

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.geekstogo...77&hl=bluetooth

read the above....does that sound like it applies to you

bookie

bookie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
That sounds exactly like my situation Gerry. I'm going to read the article and perform the steps to remove any hidden ports and I'll get back to you, OK. I have my second job tonight so I won't be able to meddle with it until late tonight. You sure are on top of your game and I appreciate it!

Kevin

bookie

bookie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I couldn't wait so I started the process and it looks like I'll at least be able to delete the phantom ports. I'll try installing the device again and let you know how it works. In the meantime, thanks.

bookie

bookie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks Gerry, and chalk another one up for you. Thanks to you and your research I was able to remove the unused com ports and actually ActiveSynched with my PPC. I've learned a lot through this process (even though I don't think users should necessarily have to muck around with such stuff anymore) and will help others in situations like mine. I've already found a user on aximsite.com who has a similar problem.

Thanks very much.