Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DBF to Mail Merge [bleep]

• Please log in to reply

MarkRB

MarkRB

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all you Word Gurus.

I am currently trying to import a selection of records from Filemaker 5 pro into MS Word2000 via a DBF file export.

My Problem is this; The data is a list of tapes with fields like artist, title, format etc but when it comes to the songs, if a tape has more than one song then Word sees the following songs as new records as each song has the same header.

As each record that is just a song has a blank artist field I have been trying to use a Field Code but am having a nightmare getting the syntax correct.

What I am aiming for is "If Next record "Artist" field is blank then Merge Next Records "SongTitle" field; If Next record "Artist" field is NOT blank then Do Nothing.

Ive been able to make it look ahead to the next record but the conditions make no difference, particularly the do nothing bit.

I hope this makes sense.

I am quite sure I'm missing something fundamental, so go gently!

Thanks 4 reading,

Mark

(LOL apologies, was unaware H.E.L.L would be censored)

Edited by MarkRB, 23 June 2005 - 10:36 AM.

Advertisements

MarkRB

MarkRB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This is the Syntax that looks ahead to the next record and if the Artist Field is blank it inserts the next SongTitle.

{ NEXTIF {MERGEFIELD Artist} <>"" }( MERGEFIELD Songs_Tit )

Currently if the next record Artist field is not blank it simply repeats the last song. What I need it to do is something like this;

{ NEXTIF {MERGEFIELD Artist} <>"" }( MERGEFIELD Songs_Tit )(ELSE SKIP)

??

Any help greatly apreciatted