Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Game crashes

• Please log in to reply

Guest_liam_lad_*

Guest_liam_lad_*
Hello i play unreal tournament 99, Counter strike source, and Battle field 2, how ever recently when i start the games they either stall at the options menu, or crash mid game. Also when i open up unreal tournament, the game loads, up, then it minimizes to the dekstop, then i click the tool bar and it opens back up again. Im running a radeon ATI 9600 pro, does any body have any suggestions as to why the games are crashing? I have thought about over heating so i did a temperature test. My cpu is normally 69 degrees, my mobo 64.
thanks

Advertisements

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Ok how much memory do you have and what is your GHz / MHz speed?

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Go download Everest http://www.lavalys.com/ and copy and paste your computer specs to here. Also do you get a blue screen error and what is the error code?

Guest_liam_lad_*

Guest_liam_lad_*
i have 512 mb of RAM and a AMD athlon XP 3200+ 2.23 ghz processor. I dont get any blue screens, mostly the game freezes and i have to restart, but on the odd occasion the game crashes, computer dies and begins to beep quite violently. Turning the computer off has no effect on this, eventually i have to completely unplug the computer from the mains.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Try closing some unnecessary processes, and you do have some type of spyware removal system correct?

It's usually the simplest things that cause me problems. :tazz:

Guest_liam_lad_*

Guest_liam_lad_*
I use ewido security, hitman pro, AVG, Zone alarm, cleanup, cleaner 5 and micrsoft giant antispyware. I checked my temperatures with a program called speedfan, and all of the temps have a flame next to them. What is the average recommended temperatue for the cpu, motherboard, graphics etc?

Deadringers

Deadringers

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
well CPU should not be more than 55-60 if im being generous :tazz: and im not sure about the mother board.

Guest_liam_lad_*

Guest_liam_lad_*
im averaging 69 - 74 degrees cpu temp, so ive ordered a new dual fan assisted heatsink. Hopefully this will bring the temps down, could overheating be the cause of the game crashes?

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Hmmm

Edited by MOLEXRULZ, 24 June 2005 - 01:56 PM.

Snickets

Snickets

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
Hello all,

Yes overheating on the cpu can cause major issues. You may want to wait till you get the new heatsink and install it before you run it up again otherwise your motherboard might start popping the kernels if you know what I mean.

I would also make sure that you do a defrag on the system. I know that when I run counterstrike alone on my machine that it puts so many partial files on that it is sick and slows down my 4000 plus with a 160 gig hard drive.

Defrag and get cc cleaner from here to clean your temporary folders on a regular basis. www.ccleaner.com

Peace be unto the frog the jumps to the right,

Snickets out

:tazz:

Guest_liam_lad_*

Guest_liam_lad_*
ok now wot does this mean? i was on my desktop and the screen went blue with all sorts of writing on, the only wors i managed to catch before the computer restarted itself were "Kernal_stack_inpage_error"