Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to make two paritions to 1 harddrive

• Please log in to reply

Ultimate Kensuke

Ultimate Kensuke

• Pip
  • 5 posts
how can i do so so i can install win98 and xp?

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
If you don't mind reformatting your hard drive, then all you have to do is insert the Windows XP disk, and when you get the part where you have to select which drive or partition to put it on, simply delete the current partition and repartition it in half (or whatever ratio you want just so long as theres enough room for each operating system on their respective partitions). Once you have the drive divided up the way you like it, simply install XP on the one you want, and then after the installation of XP is totally complete, take out the XP CD and put the 98 CD in, then when asked what partition you want to put 98 on, just select the one that does not have xp on it, and install 98 and vioala! your done. Now each time you boot up, the system should ask you which OS you want to boot up with.

--Chris

Ultimate Kensuke

Ultimate Kensuke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did that but when installing win 98 it doesnt ask for what paritition to use.

techroy

techroy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
delete all partitions first using any means.
create a dos partition using fdisk from the windows 98 cd.
leave a portion of the hdd unpartitioned so that you can install windows xp on it later on.

you can partition the remaining hdd space using the windows xp setup.

hope this helps.

TwiztidNinja

TwiztidNinja

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
werd always start with the iolder operating system first but win 98 sucks i woudlent bother with it

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Ok if you want to keep your data you have to run a program like partition magic. You must load 98 1st then xp.
I recommend that you partition both as fat32 otherwise you wont be able to see the inormation from the other operating system. Fat32 will not read ntfs and vice a versa. This is easy to do I run 98 and xp