Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power

• Please log in to reply

preventive1

preventive1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I have a small business network. 1 server and three workstation. I have a dsl modem, switch and a router. The workstations each are on a battery backup. The modem, switch and router are not. After lossing power at my location I have lost my connects to the internet after powering back up. But I am able to connect to each workstation and server.

I am back on line and have a tech come out to reconnect my system. But I would like to know if there is any thing that I can due to prevent this from happening. Should I put the model,switch and router on a battery back-up?

Is there an order that my system should be powered off and on? Would this help prevent me from losing my connection?

Thank you.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's always a good idea to have as much of your stuff on a ups as possible. this may have dropped your settings in the router and or modem. though to my knowledge the routers and such have no ability to go through a shutdown process.

i suggest trying to make a backup of the configuration files on the router if you can.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
If nothing else, I would at least recommend a surge-protector. Be careful which ones you buy though. As with anything electronic, you get what you pay for.

Greazy Mcgeezy

preventive1

preventive1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you dsenette and Greazy. I will follow-up with each suggestion and continue to learn more about handling my systems hardware and accessories. Thank you.