Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build problems! Help!

• Please log in to reply

QzXx

QzXx

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Okay... a few weeks ago i decided to build my own system. My problem is when i boot it up the computer turns itself off after about 30 seconds. I get no beeps or anything on the boot up either. I have tried re-seating the processor and no luck.

Here is the general spec:

400W Power Supply
Socket 775 p4 2.8ghz 800mhz fsb
Abit AG8 Third Eye motherboard
512 DDR Ram
40Gb Ide Harddrive
X800Xt Radeon Pci-Express

I was also wondering if the computer turning off has anything to do with the Power connector to the motherboard. My PSU connector is 20pin and the motherboard has a 24pin slot although it does say it is compatible with a 20pin could it be causing the problem?

Thanks

Advertisements

QzXx

QzXx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Nothing?

csu266

csu266

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
From my experience heat and power supply failure causes a computer to shut off randomly. Also it could be the video card problem. How many case fans do you have, what kind of heat sink fan do you have and did u use a pad or thermal paste. Also it would be a good idea to check all the power/IDE etc connections to see if they are good to do.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Easiest thing is get someone in the know to look at it you cant solve alot of problems with so little info on a internet forum.

fernsy

fernsy

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi

i also had the same problem i figured out it was because the hs was not touching the cpu beacause the spring was too lose so tightnened it up and it works fine mine would also shut off like urs.

hope this help

QzXx

QzXx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Okay, thanks guys!

I had the same problem. The HSF wasnt making good enough contact with the CPU.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Yea they cpu shuts itself off when it gets too hot. Usually due to poor heatsink mounting