Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GeForce 6800

• Please log in to reply

EPP1E

EPP1E

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I got my GeForce 6800 expecting some awesome graphics... but it's not very different from my GeForce FX5600... The FPS is the same in Counter-Strike (60.0 FPS avg.) is this normal, or do I need to change some configurations on my GF to make it have better FPS?

Advertisements

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
try upping the video setting and resolution. GO to high res and high settings

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Drivers maybe or needed to be updated and try to configure or even overclock the card i have heard that 6800's are great for overclocking :tazz: even though i have 2 of them in my SLI MOTHERBOARD LOL

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
IN GAME SETTING'S PUSH THEM ALL THE WAY UP.

EPP1E

EPP1E

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I think I did all that... could it have to do with my max screen refresh rate being 75?

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Having just tried to install the NVIDIA 5500 OC, and it not working, I am familiar with some of the tweaks involved, so let me share them with you.

In the BIOS, there are a few settings to tweak:
Set your AGP aperture to what the card can handle. (tech support suggested that the usual value should be half of what your card is capable of).

Turn off your video ROM shadowing, (this allows your video card to do ALL of the graphics processing without using your system memory to duplicate the information.

Make sure your power supply can handle the increased power requirements of the card. and make sure you can keep the video card cool. An ironic twist of marketing is that today's CPUs are sold without heat sinks or fans despite the fact that you WILL destroy your processor if you run it without the cooling hardware.

Even though you may have just purchased your card, it may have sat on the shelf for 6 months. Go to the OEM website and get the latest drivers. ( there may even be specific game driver patches available).

Run the DXDIAG.EXE program, and go to the display tab at the top. Run all of the tests provided and get the score. If any fail, if will direct you on what to do.

For games, make sure you have the latest OpenGL and DirextX (9.0c I think)

I was very dimayed that the 256 ddr 5500 OC NVIDIA card I purchased did not work in my system. I had been drooling of smooth video playback and increased FPS for about 6 months now. But I will have to make sure my system can handle the increased data flow first.

Good luck.